Can multiple users access the same report simultaneously? RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using Crystal reports but are considering using SQL RS. We need to know if there is a restriction on simultanoeus access to the same report by multiple users? What happens when multiple users try to access the same report simultaneously? If reports can be accessed simultaneously, do the requests queue up or are they processed concurrently?

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 3:30 AM

Answers

• not quite sure what you mean by "rdls deployed separately" but the answer is yes. RS supports full multi-user access and easily scales hundreads of users.

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hello there..Im just a begginer in SQL RS.But for what i know,it supports multi - user,as long as they are just using the rdls deployed separately.If im wrong,please correct me..hehe.. its for improvement..hehe..thanks..

Friday, August 24, 2007 3:52 AM
  • not quite sure what you mean by "rdls deployed separately" but the answer is yes. RS supports full multi-user access and easily scales hundreads of users.

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:47 AM
  • Thanks. Are you able to provide any insight on how RS processes multiple simultaneous requests ie in a queue or concurrently?

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:55 AM
  • RS uses multi-threading if possible. It runs within the aspnet worker process in IIS so increasing the IIS threading settings (see web garden settings for an app pool) increases performance on a multi processor/core system and also increases the number of simultaneous requests.

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:03 AM
  • We have our web server running on one machine and SQL Server running on another, which machine would we need to change the IIS settings on? (I assume the SQL machine, is this correct?)

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:15 AM
  • In the context of my post I was referring to the web server. This way when you look at task manager on the web server you should see multiple aspnet_wp.exe processes. That's assuming that Reporting services is installed on the web server and the RS repository database is on the data server.

Naturally SQL Server and Analysis Services will also parallelize the query executed against them given the right hardware and configuration settings on the data server.

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:54 AM