Wasted space on the taskbar

General discussion

• Does anyone else think that the gaps between the icons are a bit over generous?

Is there a reason why the hit area is so wide?  Not really a criticism but with all the talk of hit areas and usability with regard to Metro Start Screen and detailed answers in the MS blogs I thought this was a good time to ask.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• One main reason is that it be easy to view and since icons are big and space are enough there is less error in click by mouse , conside if they were near each other then you click one with a few mouse click error , another application would run. However, you could open propertise and set to make icon smaller if you want to.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Yes I agree the gap can be reduced and should be user adjustable, especially for tablets when using portrait layout. There should be a setting to reduce the gap.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:00 AM
  • One main reason is that it be easy to view and since icons are big and space are enough there is less error in click by mouse , conside if they were near each other then you click one with a few mouse click error , another application would run. However, you could open propertise and set to make icon smaller if you want to.

Hi Cyber,

I did some rough measurements of hit targets: Taskbar width (58px), depth(infinite), gap (4px), then I did the same for window controls: minimize (28px wide), close (46px wide) with no gap between elements. The taskbar icons seem disproportionally large compared to other elements, I had a think about how I 'aim' for an icon/control and I tend to aim for the center (horizontally) so that 58px icon gives me roughly 30px of leeway either side - that's more than the total hit area for the minimise box! I can sort of understand the 4px gap as that can reduce click pollution into the next icon and as you said launching another application because you were a few pixels out would be wrong.

I tried using small icons via the taskbar properties but you still get the 'wasted' space and I find it harder to identify the icons at that small size especially on my work machine where I have a number of application icons that look quite similar.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 10:26 AM
  • This back to usability and user experience in Windows, it could be consider as suggestion for Windows , but some usabiliy and user experience testing must be done to make sure it is what user wants.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:41 AM
  • This back to usability and user experience in Windows, it could be consider as suggestion for Windows , but some usabiliy and user experience testing must be done to make sure it is what user wants.
    I agree completely, its ok me saying it would be 'better' for one thing (fitting more icons on the bar) but in may be awful to use in practice. I was rather hoping that MS would comment on the thread with some of their design reason and metrics to back it up like they did with the start menu, i found all that stuff with the heat graphs and target areas really interesting.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:45 AM