Lightswitch 2011, Azure, and Transparent Data Encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have and old LS2011 Lightswitch app. It runs on a hosting company (Arvixe).

The application uses two external databases. One for authentication and one for the rest of the app.

I need to use Transparent Data Encryption. So, I guess the first question is: Can I use TDE for an old LS2011 application?

If so, how do I do it?

Can I use Azure for this process?

Also, I would be willing to pay someone to port my application over to Azure with TDE.

Thanks,

Dave 

Sunday, September 11, 2016 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

I don't have recent experience using VS2010/2012 with Azure and deploying LS from VS2012 to Azure was broken at my last attempt. The Azure SDK and Data Tools extensions I thought are only up to date for VS2013 / VS2015. That is why I suggested playing with a VM especially if sticking to LightSwitch 2011.

Not to underestimate the task, you may need to comply with best security practises, which done properly in Azure is exacting but at least is now possible. For us, Silverlight is no longer acceptable bearing this in mind.

You have contacted me offline so I can see if we can offer a review of ways forward.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 10, 2016 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:05 AM

All replies

• When using TDE in SQL Azure it is at a lower level that your app will not notice. We have LightSwitch based apps and others using SQL Azure TDE as it is essential to compliance with security requirements.

You easiest test port I think would be to spin up a VM WS2012 with VS2015 already installed (takes 5 mins). That is if you can get an upgraded copy of your app. I don't recall which older VM templates are available but you can install VS2010 / LS2011 yourself if necessary.

Using a VM to host IIS + LS app will keep it a whole lot simpler to start with.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Sunday, September 11, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Thanks Dave,

I can't upgrade to VS2015 and must stay with VS2010 due to extension limitations including DevXpress Xtrareport.

I'm not sure I understand the need of a VM to have the IDE installed.  I was under the impression I can deploy to Azure from VS2010. Also, I thought I would need a Key Pair for TDE and if so, how do I tell my LS app to use it? I also use WCF RIA Service quite a bit.

Also, I did notice that your company also does consulting and perhaps this is a project that you can help me with.  I am under some pressure to get this done, and I want it done right. This is just a small hobby business and I have a real job that demands most of my time.  Should I pursue this further with your consulting company?

Thanks,

Dave

Monday, September 12, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I don't have recent experience using VS2010/2012 with Azure and deploying LS from VS2012 to Azure was broken at my last attempt. The Azure SDK and Data Tools extensions I thought are only up to date for VS2013 / VS2015. That is why I suggested playing with a VM especially if sticking to LightSwitch 2011.

Not to underestimate the task, you may need to comply with best security practises, which done properly in Azure is exacting but at least is now possible. For us, Silverlight is no longer acceptable bearing this in mind.

You have contacted me offline so I can see if we can offer a review of ways forward.

Thanks

Dave

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 10, 2016 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Thanks Dave, looking forward to hearing back from your company.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:26 PM