Spatial Data not returning a map in SSMS Standard 10.0 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I loaded the Tiger data the Microsoft makes available as sql files to be loaded into
    SQL Server 2008. What I find strange is in the examples, when you query spatial data you get back a map with the points on the map plotted. When I query spatial data I get no spatial tab. I looked around figuring it was just a setting I was missing in SSMS, I didn't see anything, is this an Enterprise only feature like partitioning?

Regards,

Bryan

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• I believe that all versions of SSMS shipping with SQL Server 2008 and later support spatial data. SSMS displays the "Spatial results..." tab when one or more spatial columns are returned from the executed query.  It sounds like you don't have any spatial data being returned.  It would be helpful if you could include a screen shot of a portion of the data returned which contains the spatial column to get a better idea of what is going on.

-Ed

Ed Katibah Spatial Ed Blog

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:11 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Note that you need to actually return at least one "raw" geometry/geography column in the query resultset - if you're using STAsText() or ToString() to make the results look more human-friendly (i.e. "POLYGON(...)" rather than "0xE745...") then the spatial results tab won't plot them.

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/ | Pro Spatial with SQL Server 2012

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:40 PM
    Answerer