none
Syncing objects states RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    In my application i need to have a collection of my custom objects which changes over the time on one machine (server). The collection and objects changes must be reflected on another machine (client).
    I know i can manually write code to handle that but maybe remoting or some other techinique would be a better approach?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Sure, remoting will work.  It ensures you have a consistent view of an object on both the client and the server.  It's going to be very expensive though, you'll have a round-trip through the network for every property access.  "Reflecting" the updates won't work well, the race conditions are quite unsolvable.  Unless you build synchronization into your class design.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:53 PM

All replies

• Sure, remoting will work.  It ensures you have a consistent view of an object on both the client and the server.  It's going to be very expensive though, you'll have a round-trip through the network for every property access.  "Reflecting" the updates won't work well, the race conditions are quite unsolvable.  Unless you build synchronization into your class design.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Thanks Nobugz.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 6:33 AM