Mac OS X Lion - OOB App - CheckAndDownloadUpdateAsync() - OutOfMemoryException RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would love a little assistance from the SL community with a nasty problem I am trying to track down.

I have implemented and re-implemented the CheckAndDownloadUpdateAsync() in a 100 different ways
    to make sure that I got it right and that my problem is not caused by programmer error.

Basically I have inherited a large multimedia SL 4 application which I now compile and deploy on SL5.
    Automatic updates work perfectly on Windows (multiple platforms) but fails consistently on Mac OS X Lion.

The exception contained in e.Error is a System.OutOfMemoryException - Insufficeint memory to contunue
    the execution of the program.

The application only uses 120MB of ram on startup and can sometimes grow to 1.7GB but no matter at what figure
    the memory utilization stands when CheckAndDownloadUpdateAsync() is called the callback method gets called
    back with the OutOfMemoryException.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies

• I've currently got an identical problem under Snow Leopard.  A little bit of an ominous sign that there haven't been any responses to this issue!

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:44 PM
  • I have the same problem with my project. I don't think it has anything to do with the memory your app is using. I believe it's a bug in the Silverlight runtime for OSX. That 's super annoying. If it's indeed a bug in Silverlight for Mac then we will probably waiting forever for a fix.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:35 PM
  • I found the reason for the problem. On OSX the no cache trick  when running inside the browser doesn't play well with OBB update anymore. So don't generate a new xap file name each time it is changed otherwise it breaks the OOB update in SL5 on OSX.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:38 PM