none
Edit and update a child record in a - Parent-Child striucture RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a database that will track training events, and its related activities.  When I do a search for an event, the user would like the ability to edit the related activities and update them.  I tried using Macro but it gives an error - error 2450. Microsoft cannot find the referenced form - frmTraining. This is the form that holds the events, it also has subform that displays the related activities.  ...I have a search form where i can search and update the training events, but I can't quite the activities to show on the form, so I wanted to see If i can use a button to display all the related activities in a seperate form.  

olu Solaru

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi. If you have a main/subform setup, which is good, to display the event and its related activities, then you don't need any code to update the activities because the related activities should be automatically displayed in the subform as you navigate the events on the main form, if you have them linked properly. What do you have in the Master/Child Linked Fields property of the subform control?
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:00 PM
  • They are both set to EVENTID which is the primary Key for Training Event - Training event table -tbltraining.

I have a different form for doing the the data entry for both the Event and the related activity. This is in the main/subform setup you mentioned earlier.  But I use  a different form to do the search and the edit of Training events, I just haven't found a way to include the activities.  i don't know how to setup my search form to to include the activities or the ability to update the activity through a button that will open a different form.

olu Solaru

Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:40 PM
  • Hi. It might be easier if you could share a demo copy of your database.
    Friday, April 19, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Friday, April 19, 2019 7:02 PM