migrating reports from 2005 to 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i'm new to ssrs and i have read several links related but still couldnt figure out. I have two reporting services link. One is a 2005 and the other one  is a 2008r2. When i click on the links they each have set of folders,subfolders and reports under them. My question is how to do i move these folders from 2005 to 2008? And after moving them how do i convert them. Please need help.

Thanks

SV

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Saivenkat,

In Reporting Services, a report definition file includes a reference to the RDL namespace that specifies the version of the report definition schema that is used to validate the rdl file.

When we open an .rdl file in Report Designer in Business Intelligence Development Studio, if the report was created for a previous namespace, Report Designer automatically creates a backup file and upgrades the report to the current namespace. Once we save the upgraded report, the original report RDL file is upgraded. If we upload a report definition file directly to the Report Server, we can upgrade the report by opening the report in Report Builder and then saving it to the report server.

If you notice additional errors, warnings, and messages after upgrade a report, this is the result of changes to the internal report object model and processing components, which cause messages to appear when underlying problems in the report are detected. If a report cannot be upgraded, the report runs in backward-compatibility mode.

For more information, please see:
    Upgrading reports:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143674(v=sql.100).aspx
    Reporting Services Backward Compatibility:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143251(v=sql.100).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:08 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 9:27 AM