none
Visual Studio crashes on one of my solutions

Question

• I have dozens of different visual studio 2012 solutions that I maintain.  But, I have one that will crash almost every time when I try to open it. The solution is to delete the .suo file.  Then everything is ok.  If I remember to remove all the open files before exiting out, then it will NOT crash the next time I open up the solution.

How do I find out what is causing my solution to crash when it opens with out having to delete the .suo file?  I am considering writing a .bat file to delete the .suo file and then open the solution.  A horrible work around, but this is frustrating.

Here is the contents from the event log.

Fault bucket 219735488, type 25
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: devenv.exe
    P2: 11.0.61219.0
    P3: 55cdaf21
    P4: msvbide.dll
    P5: 11.0.60610.1
    P6: 51b521bf
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 00005671
    P9: 
    P10: 

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi RNes,

According to your description, this problem related to one specific project. And if you close all opened files before your exit your Visual Studio, it won't crash at next time to open it.

So I think the problem mostly caused by one of these files. Please create a new project and then move the original project files to the new project one by one, which can help us confirm which file causes this issue.

Then please check whether there has any third part extensions and packages in your project. And one of the file will load these third part extensions and packages which causes crashes.

To exclude the effect from third part extensions and packages, please try run your Visual Studio in safe mode.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there doesn't have ActiveLog.xml in that path, please turn on the /Log switch and re-operate your Visual Studio to let it generate log information.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi RNes,

Thank you for your post. Visual Studio Integrate forum is aim to discuss and ask questions about extending and integrating with Visual Studio. We will move your thread to Visual Studio General forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, May 02, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi RNes,

According to your description, this problem related to one specific project. And if you close all opened files before your exit your Visual Studio, it won't crash at next time to open it.

So I think the problem mostly caused by one of these files. Please create a new project and then move the original project files to the new project one by one, which can help us confirm which file causes this issue.

Then please check whether there has any third part extensions and packages in your project. And one of the file will load these third part extensions and packages which causes crashes.

To exclude the effect from third part extensions and packages, please try run your Visual Studio in safe mode.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there doesn't have ActiveLog.xml in that path, please turn on the /Log switch and re-operate your Visual Studio to let it generate log information.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 8:50 AM