[Metro client ]virtual keyboard bug in Remote desktop client demo by Microsoft

Question

• http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Remote-Desktop-app-461567af/view/Discussions#content

This is the link of the demo.

If you connect to a remote desktop and open a .txt file on remote desktop. Use virtual keyboard for inputing, you will find this:

Only Tap, Space, Enter button could work, that means if you click a Tap it will be writen to the .txt file. All other keys will not be able to write into the file. In this demo, you will find if you press a space key it will be written into .txt file, then press a number or a word it will be filled into the text box of the demo, though currently the focus point is the rdp window!  

So how can we avoid this ?

By the way , if you use the virtual keyboard which is the most similar to a real keyboard(that is the fourth one of all virtual keyboards from left to right), everything works fine.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi wd0623,

thanks for your post.

To test the issue you described, I run the demo and remoted a win7 OS computer, the On-Screen Keyboard on remote desktop works normally. To reproduce the issue you are facing, Could you tell me what OS your are using for the remote machine?

thanks.

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:01 AM
  • Hi Yanping Wang,

I used win7 OS as well. Did you try every type of the On-Screen keyboard?  I mean there are several kinds of On-Screen keyboard, could you please try hand-writing ?

Sorry for replying so late.

Thanks.  

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Hi Yanping,

Hand writing is not work in this demo.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Remote-Desktop-app-461567af/view/Discussions#content

In this demo, I use hand writing keyboard to write some words to a txt file on remote desktop. But It works abnormally.  

After connecting to the remote desktop, open a txt file and use hand writing keyboard to write word.

At most of the time, the hand writing does not work.  If you try to write a character to the txt file , the character will be written  to the input the  item “connect to".  May be you will let me to put the focus into the txt file. In fact  I did. I click the txt file before trying to write a character to it, and I tried Space and tab button, both of them can be written  into the file.  

It seems that the focus behaves wired when using hand writing.

The app is app store Remote desktop has similar problem.

If you open two different file to write something, at first, hand writing works fine. If you switch to the other file to write, the hand writing will stop working. I suppose it missed the focus as well.

So could you please give me some suggestions ?  Or you can tell me how to file a bug to Microsoft.

I want to write a app for remote desktop, but i have the same problem as the Demo and the App.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hi wd0623,

Thanks for your update.

In order to better help you with your question, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into the issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

I'm working on this issue right now. Should be able to provide an update soon.

- Ashish

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Friday, March 8, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

Thank you !  Waiting for good news from you!

Dong 

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

- Ashish

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Thanks for your effort, hope it come out soon, the feature is really helpful.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

- Ashish

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Hi,

Any progress about this issue?  

Thanks.

Monday, March 18, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Sorry about the delay.

Here's what I did -

1. I connected to a remote Windows 8 system using MSTSC on my Windows 8 machine - I was able to get the Windows 8 On-screen keyboard just fine using hand writing.

2. I used the sample you mentioned and I couldn't get the On-screen keyboard to pop-up at all.

I have to build a Windows 7 machine now and see what happens. Give me a few hours.

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Just tried remoting in to a Windows 7 system using mstsc.exe/the sample and I see the same behavior mentioned in my post above.

Is that the behavior you see? Am I missing something?

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I add some pictures to show how I repro this issue.

1) Run the sample on tablet and connect to a remote Win7 machine.

2) popup the handwriting keyboard of tablet

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:34 AM
  • 3) in order to check whether the focus in on the remote txt file , I firstly write some numbers using "&123". and it works fine .

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:36 AM
  • 4) then i use the handwriting to input.  I write a "A" :

5) Then I press the insert button on the keyboard, but the character was not written to the remote txt file, but to the "connect to" input item on local client. (the "connect to " item is above the remote desktop area),

It seems the focus is lost ,but is not true, if we press Tab , Space or input some number using "&123", it works fine, that means the numbers can be written  to the remote txt file.

So are there any differences between our operations?  All the surface tablet in our company has this issue, so it should not be a problem related to specific machine.  So could you please check this issue again ?

Thank you again for your work on this issue. 

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Thanks for the details information.

I see the issue now - specifically, with Windows 7 RDP host. Windows 8 RDP host seems to work just fine. Trying to see where the problem is now.

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Thanks for the details information.

I see the issue now - specifically, with Windows 7 RDP host. Windows 8 RDP host seems to work just fine. Trying to see where the problem is now.

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

I tried several times with a Win8 remote desktop ,  I saw this issue with win8 RDP host as well.  May be it's not platform related.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Thanks.

Dong.

Monday, March 25, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

This looks like a bug and I have the right people looking at it now. This isn't a development related issue but a problem in the underlying platform. If this is really critical for your company, you can open a support incident and refer this thread as the starting point so that the support professional who works on understands the background. You might as well ask the incident owner to get in touch with me at ashish [dot] sahu [at] Microsoft [dot] com for a heads up.

It will most likely start as a paid incident but the charges will be refunded once a hot fix is released and/or the support incident is closed.

Hope this helps.

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

This looks like a bug and I have the right people looking at it now. This isn't a development related issue but a problem in the underlying platform. If this is really critical for your company, you can open a support incident and refer this thread as the starting point so that the support professional who works on understands the background. You might as well ask the incident owner to get in touch with me at ashish [dot] sahu [at] Microsoft [dot] com for a heads up.

It will most likely start as a paid incident but the charges will be refunded once a hot fix is released and/or the support incident is closed.

Hope this helps.

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Thank you very much! I will have a talk with my leader about this. 

Best Regards.

Dong

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:21 AM