How to get file changes in a folder CreateFileQueryWithOptions - contects changed event

Question

• As there is no FileSystemWatcher class for store apps, I am trying to use the Storage search options. I want to be able to get details of the changed file in a particular folder.

I use this once I have my file open

string ext = Path.GetExtension(file.Path);
                                    var options = new Windows.Storage.Search.QueryOptions { FileTypeFilter = { ext } };
                                    var query = Negatives.CreateFileQueryWithOptions(options);                           
                                    query.ContentsChanged += query_ContentsChanged;
                                    var files = await query.GetFilesAsync();

When the ContentsChanged event fires there is nothing to indicate what file has been changed, the args are null and the sender object doesn't seem to have much

Anyone mastered this?

Mal

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Mal,

I don't think you can query for that if there is nothing change with the file, the event only fires when an item is added to, deleted from, or modified in the folder being queried. We cannot monitor the file last open time.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by MalBall Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:03 AM
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Mal,

If you need the files, you can get them from the variable "files".

foreach (var file in files)
    {
       //do something here
    }

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi Mal,

If you need the files, you can get them from the variable "files".

foreach (var file in files)
    {
       //do something here
    }

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Yes thanks, I have moved on a bit and worked this out. I can now get details of changes, my real problem now is that the file has been opened by another application using an association, and if the file is closed by that app without doing any changes I don't know anything about it.

With the desktop app I have developed, I fire up the external app using a process within my app and I know when the process has been closed and can take the appropriate action. Unfortunately this isn't available in a store app so I am a bit stumped

Mal

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Hi Mal,

I don't think you can query for that if there is nothing change with the file, the event only fires when an item is added to, deleted from, or modified in the folder being queried. We cannot monitor the file last open time.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by MalBall Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:03 AM
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Mal,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Yes as I thought, I will mark this as answered but if anyone sees this and can suggest a way round the issue I would be grateful

Mal

Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:03 AM