login Sync & login transfer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

What is the difference between login syn and logins transfer?

logins transfer means transfer all logins server a to server b right. what about logins sync.?

subu

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Subu, the way I interpret it is that transferring logins is a one-time operation where you move logins from server A to server B, whereas keeping your logins in sync between two (or more) instances is an on-going opertion which requires monitoring on both instances.  In the latter example, new logins can appear in either instance A or instance B and must be "synced", or mirrored, to the other instance.  There are several different way to sync logins depending on your needs.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by subu999 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Subu, the way I interpret it is that transferring logins is a one-time operation where you move logins from server A to server B, whereas keeping your logins in sync between two (or more) instances is an on-going opertion which requires monitoring on both instances.  In the latter example, new logins can appear in either instance A or instance B and must be "synced", or mirrored, to the other instance.  There are several different way to sync logins depending on your needs.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by subu999 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Would you please check-out below links

http://www.msbicoe.com/post/2012/04/05/Automatically-Transfer-and-Synchronize-SQL-Server-logins-SIDs-Passwords-and-Permissions.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsecurity/thread/61dbb124-2012-4410-9e85-a6cda3dabef1

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:43 AM