none
.net Alternate Install Location - Install Size RRS feed

• Question

• Any way to Install .net in an Alternate Location?
    That is on my App partition -- NOT on my OS partition?

I keep my apps installed on a separate partition so to separate them from
    1-OS partition problems.
    2-OS partition backups size -- much smaller & faster.
    3-OS partition restore.
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, July 3, 2009 8:18 AM Do not follow up
    • Edited by dbkh Friday, July 3, 2009 11:29 AM
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Monday, July 6, 2009 2:50 AM Follow up
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:58 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I am afraid this is only possible in NetFramework 1.0 (cannot remember 1.1).

Sorry ...

Martina
    • Proposed as answer by Martina Damaschke Monday, June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by dbkh Monday, July 6, 2009 5:10 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hi Dbkh,

I've changed the thread type. :)

Is it the consensus that it is NOT possible to install .NET to an Alternate Install Location ?

As Martina and I mentioned, the installation location of .NET Framework 3.5 cannot be changed. It will be automatically installed on your System drive.

I can understand your concern. Your application is based on full .NET Framework 3.5. However, your PC doesn't have enough space for .NET Framework 3.5 installation.
    To get more space, you also can try removing some unnecessary software on System drive.

Is it the consensus that MS will NOT be making this possible in the future?

For submitting your suggestions on .NET Framework 3.5, you could try on the following URL:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=12361
    Thanks for your good suggestions.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 6, 2009 3:18 AM typo
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• 354 MB required, 237 MB available.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hello,

I am afraid this is only possible in NetFramework 1.0 (cannot remember 1.1).

Sorry ...

Martina
    • Proposed as answer by Martina Damaschke Monday, June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hi Dbkh,

Which .NET Framework do you want to install in an Alternate Location?

As far as I know, the installation location of .NET Framework cannot be changed. It's by design.

If you want to get a smaller size of .NET Framework, here is an article that can be helpful.
    Please see: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=af453d70-64b3-417e-9492-d115f929195d

If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:14 AM typo
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:13 AM
  • ....Which .NET Framework do you want to install in an Alternate Location?

The latest stable is the only one that anyone would likely want to bother with... 3.5 SP1 for now.

....If you want to get a smaller size of .NET Framework, here is an article that can be helpful.
    ....Please see: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=af453d70-64b3-417e-9492-d115f929195d

THAT article is NOT AT ALL about getting a smaller install size of .NET Framework on your HDD.
    THAT article is ONLY about getting different DOWNLOAD sizes based on what is already installed.
    Did YOU read it??

354 MB is still required... regardless of 56 MB maximum DL size.
    ACTUALLY getting a smaller INSTALL size of .NET Framework would be A HUGE DEAL!!!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Hi Dbkh,

THAT article is NOT AT ALL about getting a smaller install size of .NET Framework on your HDD.
    THAT article is ONLY about getting different DOWNLOAD sizes based on what is already installed.
    Did YOU read it??

354 MB is still required... regardless of 56 MB maximum DL size.
    ACTUALLY getting a smaller INSTALL size of .NET Framework would be A HUGE DEAL!!!

Sorry for less explanation. I mean .NET Framework Client Profile in the article. :)

The .NET Framework Client Profile is a subset of the full .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that targets client applications. It contains the .NET Framework assemblies needed for the installation and distribution of .NET Framework client applications during offline user scenarios. So it requires less space than full .NET Framework. You can try installing this.
    For more information, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx

You also can try cleanup tools like Disk Cleanup (for XP) to get more space of your system drive.

More clarification with you. What's your OS? Have you ever installed .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on your PC?

Thanks

• Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:09 AM typo
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Hi Dbkh,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:18 AM
  • ....You also can try cleanup tools like Disk Cleanup (for XP) to get more space of your system drive.
    Have been using custom cleaner scripts for years.

....What's your OS?
    XP Pro

....Have you ever installed .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on your PC?
    Relevant ONLY to download size, NOT to how much total space is required.
    Had some of the earlier versions installed and they were a major PITA to uninstall / clean out.

....The .NET Framework Client Profile is a subset of the full .NET Framework
    This 255 MB Download required 219 MB of disk space.
    So now have very little free space on my Active partition.
    And the app that I really wanted to try actually requires the full .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed (would not work with Client Profile installed, hhhhh).

Is it the consensus that it is NOT possible to install .NET to an Alternate Install Location ?

changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window.
    Don't see a radio button to make this change.
    • Edited by dbkh Friday, July 3, 2009 11:36 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Hi Dbkh,

I've changed the thread type. :)

As Martina and I mentioned, the installation location of .NET Framework 3.5 cannot be changed. It will be automatically installed on your System drive.

I can understand your concern. Your application is based on full .NET Framework 3.5. However, your PC doesn't have enough space for .NET Framework 3.5 installation.
    To get more space, you also can try removing some unnecessary software on System drive.

For submitting your suggestions on .NET Framework 3.5, you could try on the following URL:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=12361
    Thanks for your good suggestions.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

• Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 6, 2009 3:18 AM typo
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation x2.
    To suggest anything requires I sign up for yet another site.....
    I'll just keep doing without.

Some app creators have included those few components that their app needed.
    Would also be nice to offer this service to app creators so that people could have just the minimal components needed.

Helpful marked.
    Answers marked.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi Dbkh,

Thank you for your help and suggestion. Have a good week! :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:44 AM