Unicode UTF-8 and Pinyin/Simplified Chinese/GB2312 in the VWD .html page RRS feed

• Question

• User1405921519 posted

Hi all,

I have Microsoft IME for Simplified Chinese/Pinyin, Microsoft Office 2003 and VWD 2005 Express in my Windows XP Pro PC. I also have a Geocities hosted website and its templates like File Manager, HTML Editor, etc. in my connection.   I put in the following in the Create & Update of the File Manager:  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html>
    <head>

<title>Unicode</title>
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">

</head>

<body>

<h1>Unicode UTF-8</>
           <p>ni hao ma? "IME Input Simplified Chinese charactors" 31 July 2006</p>

</body>
    </html>
    =====================================================

I clicked on "View" and I got the following result:

Unicode UTF-8</>

ni hao ma?ģ ?à°?? 31 July 2006

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please help and tell me what is wrong with my input/project and how I can get the right Simplied Chinese characters printed out.

Thanks,

Scott  Chang

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:15 AM

All replies

• User-1936818034 posted

Hi~ Is that a pure html page? Any concern on asp.net?

I recommend you try: <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=gb2312"> first~

If that fails, try to find out under what encoding your file is saved~

If that's an aspx website~ Furthermore you can set culture info in page-specific attributes or <globalization/> section. Or even change thread culture info when request begins~

Monday, July 31, 2006 9:06 PM
  • User1405921519 posted

Hi,

I moved <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=gb2312"> to the top and clicked on the "View".  It did not work - I got the same outcome!!??

I do not know whether it is a pure html page or not.  I got a free Web Site in http://www.geocites.com/.  Could you please check it out and see it is a pure html page or not?  I am completely lost in this maze of using Unicode utf-8 and HTML input of pinyin input via Microsoft IME.  Please help and advise again.

Thanks,

Scott  Chang

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 1:11 PM