More advanced and current technique examples with Design? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The samples for getting started with Expression Design are great, but I was hoping to see some tutorials or examples of how to do more complex items such as some of the new Windows Vista backgrounds or even something more simple such as the background for the expression.microsoft.com here. These new look are what some novices such as myself are shooting for. For example, the Silverlight logo is really sharp, is it just a bunch of paths with complex strokes or something much more simple?

Any help in this direction would be great!

- Michael
    • Edited by Yarborg Monday, March 31, 2008 1:22 PM I'm a goofball
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• The new Expression web site was a collaboration of efforts. I'll see if I can find out who made the background and how they did it.

What is the new visa background? If you're talking about Visa the credit card, all I see is a white background on that site.

I don't know if I can track down who created the Silverlgith logo but I'll try.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Annie
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Sorry, that should have been "Vista" not visa. My bad
    Monday, March 31, 2008 1:22 PM
  • It looks like three circle/ellipses (or partial circles/ellipses) on a large document followed by close cropping and tweaked bitmap export values seem a good start.

In E3 softedge on gradient fills and in ED (ED2 too?) a bit of blur seems to help

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:39 PM
  • As a good ol' deebsian ps:

It really is part of the fun and pleasure of a beta app.

Some applications (eg: Photoshop) return thousands and thousands of tutorials of various levels and various approaches and one can understand why as they tend to be well supported over a good few years.

ED1 and possibly ED2 have roots in E3 and it is not so well supported so tutorials as best made by you the reader.  At least one poster (g******e) started off quite new to things and now is at the point of tutorial writer.  And that really is part of the adventure and adventuring with new stuff.

Dive in, have a go, build up a memory map of what it does, how it does it and lead rather than follow?
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:01 PM
  • :)

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:17 PM
  • The blend paths feature is very powerful, but takes some getting used to. When you combine it with Gaussian Blur as mentioned above and other live effects like Outer Glow you can come up with some pretty cool stuff.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:29 PM
  • In a sense I wonder if a closely cropped large image beckons to a person along the lines of "this image is incomplete you will have to view the stuff below to make more meaningful perception and understanding?"

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:54 PM