readi g a .dbf file RRS feed

• Question

• User1618321365 posted

I'm using the code below to read a .dbf file where the code was obtained from

http://www.aspcode.net/Reading-DBF-files-in-C.aspx

In my case, the app cannot locate the "airport.dbf" object  -- error is below. I've tried to use just "airport" w/o a path but it gives the same error.

---Jim

Server Error in '/GVOps4' Application.

ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'airport'.  Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'airport'.  Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

Source Error:

Line 396:            oCmd.CommandText = @"SELECT * FROM C:\webprojects\airports\airport"; 
    Line 397:            DataTable dt = new DataTable(); 
    Line 398:            dt.Load(oCmd.ExecuteReader()); 
    Line 399:            oConn.Close(); 
    Line 400: 

Source File: c:\webprojects\GVOps4\App_Code\Class1.cs    Line: 398

Stack Trace:

[OdbcException (0x80131937): ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'airport'.  Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.]
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode) +35
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReaderObject(CommandBehavior behavior, String method, Boolean needReader, Object[] methodArguments, SQL_API odbcApiMethod) +1735
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReaderObject(CommandBehavior behavior, String method, Boolean needReader) +60
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +75
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReader() +6
       dbQueries.readAirportDBF() in c:\webprojects\GVOps4\App_Code\Class1.cs:398
       _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\webprojects\GVOps4\GVStaff\Orders.aspx.cs:23
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +33
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1436

public void readAirportDBF()

{

System.Data.Odbc.
    OdbcConnection oConn = new System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection(); oConn.ConnectionString = @"Driver={Microsoft dBase Driver (*.dbf)};SourceType=DBF;SourceDB=C:\webprojects\airports\;Exclusive=No; Collate=Machine;NULL=NO;DELETED=NO;BACKGROUNDFETCH=NO;";

oConn.Open();

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand oCmd = oConn.CreateCommand();

oCmd.CommandText = @"SELECT * FROM C:\webprojects\airports\airport"; DataTable dt = new DataTable();

dt.Load(oCmd.ExecuteReader());

oConn.Close();

//dataGridView1.DataSource = dt;

}

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:38 PM

All replies

• User2112208005 posted

Hello,

I ran into the same problem just now.

Did you ever discover a solution to the problem?

Thanks

Steve 

Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:30 AM
  • User-275064894 posted

i think the problem is with the file path.

oCmd.CommandText = @"SELECT * FROM C:\webprojects\airports\airport"; DataTable dt = new DataTable(); 

should be like this

oCmd.CommandText = @"SELECT * FROM C:\webprojects\airports\airport.dbf"; DataTable dt = new DataTable();

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:17 PM
  • User-275064894 posted

well seems like i am having problems as well. i am getting the same error. hope by looking at the code someone would be able to guide me to correct direction.

Dim connection As OleDbConnection

Dim command As OleDbCommand

Dim reader As OleDbDataReader

connection =

New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _"Data Source=c:\OnlineApp\RapDBF\;Extended Properties=dBase III")

connection.Open()

command =

New OleDbCommand("select * from c:\OnlineApp\RapDBF\DBF_RB.dbf", connection)

reader = command.ExecuteReader()

connection.Close()

reader = command.ExecuteReader()

ListView1.DataSource = reader

ListView1.DataBind()

reader.Close()

command.Dispose()

connection.Close()

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:27 PM