Custom controls in a Windows Store App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I would like to develop a custom control in a Windows Store App.  I'm using VS 2013 for Windows and I expected to find a project template named "Templated control" but it seems to be missing. 

I downloaded and installed VS2013 Express for desktop but it's not there either?

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Brian

Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please tell me how you look for the”Templated control” in VS 2013 for Windows or VS 2013 Community?

Generally, we can add ”Templated control” by right-clicking the Windows store app project->Add->New Item like the following screen shot.

Therefore, I suggest you can create a Windows store app project firstly and then according to the above suggestion to add a ”Templated control".

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by EricksonBrian Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:16 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

> >I'm using VS 2013 for Windows and I expected to find a project template named "Templated control" but it seems to be missing. 

Based on your issue, you mean that when you want to develop a customcontrol in a Windows Store App, you could not find a Windows Store project template in VS 2013 Express for Windows, am I right?

If yes, could you please tell me what operate system you install in your machine?

As far as I know, if you want to install the VS 2013 Express for Windows, you must support operating systems Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64).

If your system is Windows 8.1, I suggest you can repair or re-install your VS 2013 Express for Windows and then check if you can see the Windows Store project template.

Generally, if you want to develop a Windows Store App, the VS2013 Express for desktop is not support to create a Windows Store App.

In addition, since Visual Studio Community 2013 is a free full-featured IDE for developers building apps across devices, desktops, and the cloud. It has all the features of Express, plus tools for multi-device apps across Windows, Android, and iOS devices, and access to thousands of extensions in a single IDE.

So you can also install the Visual Studio Community 2013 to develop a custom control in a Windows Store App.

Reference:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Monday, December 8, 2014 5:40 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Sorry, I'm using Windows 8.1 and you're right VS Express for desktop does not support Windows store apps.  However, VS Express for Windows does... my app is about 1/2 done...

Already tried to repair the install of VS Express 2013 for Windows... no joy.

Didn't know there was a Community edition... installing now.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:33 AM
  • The Community edition doesn't have what I'm looking for either...

So, let me try this from a different angle.  I wanting to develop a custom control that contains a label, text box, image and one button.  The programmatically put one or more of these controls on the top app bar of my Windows store app.  I'm only interested in supporting Windows 8.1 and forward.

What edition of Visual Studio should I be using? What project template is best to stare from?

Thanks,

Brian

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:03 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please tell me how you look for the”Templated control” in VS 2013 for Windows or VS 2013 Community?

Generally, we can add ”Templated control” by right-clicking the Windows store app project->Add->New Item like the following screen shot.

Therefore, I suggest you can create a Windows store app project firstly and then according to the above suggestion to add a ”Templated control".

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by EricksonBrian Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:16 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply...I was trying to add a new project to my solution.  Adding a new item I see the "Templated Control".

Sorry I was so dense.

Brian

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:16 AM