mirroring suspended possibly due to errors 948 and 1453 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having a difficult time setting up a test network around SQL mirroring. After 3 days of effort I've gotten what I hope is almost there. The current state of my efforts is when I start the mirror it tries to preform the update and goes almost immediately into a suspended mode.

Looking at the SQL error logs I've found the following errors (in typical MSSQL vagueness) on the principle:

Date  3/4/2014 1:33:00 PM
    Log  SQL Server (Current - 3/4/2014 1:40:00 PM)

Source  spid30s

and

Date  3/4/2014 1:33:00 PM
    Log  SQL Server (Current - 3/4/2014 1:40:00 PM)

Source  spid30s

'TCP://DB-J:5022', the remote mirroring partner for database 'MOVE_PARTDATA', encountered error 948, status 2, severity 20. Database mirroring has been suspended.  Resolve the error on the remote server and resume mirroring, or remove mirroring and re-establish the mirror server instance.

NO errors are indicated on the mirror partner.

Removing the mirror via the mirror wizard and re-establishing it seems to have no better results.

My configuration looks like the following:

Server db-k has 3 SQL instances on it. The principle runs on the instance dbk_mirror, there is no domain controller in this set up so I've used certifications for the connection.

Server db-j also has a couple of SQL instances on it. In this case the instance called "Production" is used

The mirroring system was set up based on the following article: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/31325/Step-by-Step-SQL-Mirroring-the-ASPState-Database, which seems to cover many of the "gotchas" that the MSDN articles don't.

The problem I'm having is that the errors above leave me with no clue as to what's the problem.

Any input to what I should do next would be welcomed.

Developer Frog Haven Enterprises

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like you to remove this mirroring session completely and delete endpoints created.Now create a new windows login with admin privileges on windows do this for both Principal and mirror.Since your comp is not in domain I guess that would be easy.Now add this login as an administrator in SQL Server do this on both principal and mirror.After this login to both machine using this ID .And login into sql server using this ID(windows authentication)

Start SQL Server service with this account on both principal and mirror.And create mirroring using this account.

Also its not necessary to use certificates when configuring Mirroring in workgroup.Use below link for more information

http://www.kendalvandyke.com/2011/12/database-mirroring-in-windows-workgroup.html

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by elbilo Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:05 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:50 AM

All replies

• what is your principal and mirror configuration?

/*
          It is at this point where the database will be online on the SQL 2012 instance
          NOTE - Databasebase Mirroring will be suspsended and errors like the below will be received;
          'TCP://Server1.GPGROUP.COM:1430', the remote mirroring partner for database 'DenaliHA', encountered error 948, status 2, severity 20. Database mirroring has been suspended.  Resolve the error on the remote server and resume mirroring, or remove mirroring and re-establish the mirror server instance.
          Error: 1453, Severity: 16, State: 1.
          This is beacuse Database Mirroring works from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012 for upgrades only!  Mirroring SQL 2012 to SQL 2008 will not work!!!
    */

Reference:-

http://sqlserver365.blogspot.com/2012/02/script-day-day-14-upgrading-to-sql-2012.html]

-Prashanth

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:53 PM
  • I've purposely have made sure that both the principle and the partner instances are SQL 2008 R2 Standard editions

I've also made sure the same service packs levels has been installed on the 2 instances.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:06 PM
  • I've purposely have made sure that both the principle and the partner instances are SQL 2008 R2 Standard editions

I've also made sure the same service packs levels has been installed on the 2 instances.

Hello Can you please run select @@Version on both princiapl adn mirror and post it here.Have you made sure your SQL Server 2008 R2 is updated to latest SP

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:59 AM
  • the partner mirror for the SELECT @@VERSION is: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)   Jun 28 2012 08:36:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) 

for the priciple the results are: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)   Jun 28 2012 08:36:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) 

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Hello,

I would like you to remove this mirroring session completely and delete endpoints created.Now create a new windows login with admin privileges on windows do this for both Principal and mirror.Since your comp is not in domain I guess that would be easy.Now add this login as an administrator in SQL Server do this on both principal and mirror.After this login to both machine using this ID .And login into sql server using this ID(windows authentication)

Start SQL Server service with this account on both principal and mirror.And create mirroring using this account.

Also its not necessary to use certificates when configuring Mirroring in workgroup.Use below link for more information

http://www.kendalvandyke.com/2011/12/database-mirroring-in-windows-workgroup.html

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by elbilo Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:05 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:50 AM
  • Thank-you for your suggestion. Everywhere else I've read about setting this up refers to using certifications and leaving that last dialog blank. Your post was the first time I've seen on how to use that dialog with non-domain window accounts and it worked!

On to the next layer.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:08 PM