Azure SnapShots - Replicated? RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if Azure Snapshots, Blob or Files are they replicated via GRS Storage accounts in Azure? Say if it was failed over to the fail over region selected, would it be brought over? I can't find a definitive answer in the documentation. If anyone knows it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi LukeUhren, 

If you have a storage account with GRS already setup, the snapshots if stored within the storage account, they will still be transferred to GRS, so you can use them during that failover process as well. Does this answer your question ?
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by LukeUhren Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi LukeUhren, 

If you have a storage account with GRS already setup, the snapshots if stored within the storage account, they will still be transferred to GRS, so you can use them during that failover process as well. Does this answer your question ?
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by LukeUhren Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:51 PM
  • Yes, that does answer my question. Would you possibly have a link to a KB article that says this or is that listed anywhere? Just wondering in case I want to reference to anyone.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:59 PM
  • @LukeUhren, there are four types of redundancy: LRS, GRS, ZRS and GZRS, each one is described in the following article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-redundancy#zone-redundant-storage 

To confirm your question, I found an old blog post specifically mentioning snapshots and snapshot images here:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/azure-managed-snapshots-images-ga/ 
    When it comes to other objects, depending on the type of redundancy chosen, it will take effect when there's an outage, replication is always current. Let me know if this helps :)
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 12:31 AM
  • OK, thank you very much as always. Great help!
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:27 PM