No readings from compass and inclinometer

Question

• I have a Samsung 700T ATIV Smart PC Pro tablet and I tried to access the different sensors to test a few things out.

So far I was able to get data from the Accelerometer and the Gyrometer.

The Inclinometer and the Compass however are not giving me any data. I can instantiate them just fine (they are not null) using Compass.GetDefault();  and Inclinometer.GetDefault();. The "reading" event handlers are not getting invoked though.

I tried the Inclinometer SDK sample as well. Same result, no readings.

The tablet should be up-to-date according to the Samsung Updater tool.

Is there any other way how I can check whether these sensors are enabled and working?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• If figure-of-8 motion didn't work, try rotating the tablet 3-4 times in each of the 3 axes (yaw, pitch, roll).  

Also, try moving the tablet away from places where there's strong magnetic interference (e.g. large metal objects) to see if the readings change.   

Check how compass X, Y, Z readings change before and after your calibration attempts (rotating the tablet or figure of 8 motion). 

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:33 AM

All replies

• Try downloading the Sensor Diagnostic Tool from the WDK, under <kit root>\tools\<arch>.  Details on how to use the tool are here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh780319(v=vs.85).aspx
    Friday, February 08, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the excellent tip. I did that and the tools is able to get readings from the compass for X, Y and Z. The Magnetic North Degrees value however is always VT_NULL.
    Since I cannot get the raw values from the API, only HeadingMagneticNorth and HeadingTrueNorth, I suspect this is the problem.
    Might this be a driver "problem"?

I have also looked at the inclinometer using the tool and the values for Tilt_X, Tilt_Y and Tilt_Z are always VT_NULL.

For some reason I am not allowed to add links to posts, hopefully these will work:
    Sensor Tool Compass: i.imgur.com/k0LT1EP.png
    Sensor Tool Inclinometer: i.imgur.com/e7JNQSG.png

Friday, February 08, 2013 10:28 AM
  • It's possible that your magnetometer isn't calibrated.  Can you try moving it in a figure of 8 motion a few times in all axes and see if the VT_NULL readings go away?

Friday, February 08, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I've just done that... Didn't help.

I'm out of ideas..

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:52 PM
  • If figure-of-8 motion didn't work, try rotating the tablet 3-4 times in each of the 3 axes (yaw, pitch, roll).  

Also, try moving the tablet away from places where there's strong magnetic interference (e.g. large metal objects) to see if the readings change.   

Check how compass X, Y, Z readings change before and after your calibration attempts (rotating the tablet or figure of 8 motion). 

Monday, February 11, 2013 4:33 AM
  • Hello Lisa,

Thank you, that did that trick. Once I moved from the second floor of my house to the first the sensors re-calibrated.

Both the compass and the inclinometer work now!

Thanks again!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:10 PM