Windows Developer Preview - Does a computer need VT-X or AMD-v virtualization in order to use Windows Developer Preview?

Question

• I have a spare computer in my bedroom And i would like to install the developer preview, Does the computer need VT-X or AMD-v  virtualization in order for windows 8 to work propery or is this only if you want to install it on a virtual machine , its because i want to get a new dvd drive because my dvd-rw drive is stopped working, its because i dont want to buy a new dvd drive and then find out that it doesnt work on my machine

The Specs is
    1GB Ram
    1.3GHZ
    ACPI Enabled
    128mb Video Memory

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:47 AM

Answers

• You can just install it from a USB if you'd like, or if there already is an OS running on that computer. Just launch . iso file using a tool such as poweriso.
    The virtualization software is for a VM. You won't even need a DVD-drive to install this windows8DP.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:22 AM
  • You do not need virtualization support in hardware to run the WDP natively, but please check the minimum requirements to ensure that your computer has the memory, hdd space, video, etc., required to run the WDP.  In general if you can run Vista or W7 on the computer you should be able to run the WDP at this stage.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:38 AM

All replies

• You can just install it from a USB if you'd like, or if there already is an OS running on that computer. Just launch . iso file using a tool such as poweriso.
    The virtualization software is for a VM. You won't even need a DVD-drive to install this windows8DP.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:22 AM
  • You do not need virtualization support in hardware to run the WDP natively, but please check the minimum requirements to ensure that your computer has the memory, hdd space, video, etc., required to run the WDP.  In general if you can run Vista or W7 on the computer you should be able to run the WDP at this stage.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:38 AM