Custom Keyboard Driver RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

On our machines we have Windows 7 64 bit. Currently we have developed a custom keyboard driver using WinDDK. This driver replaces the normal "HID Keyboard Device" that loads when Windows 7 loads. As part of saving our machine image we run sysprep on our machines and then save it as a wim file using imagex. The problem is when I reload the wim using imagex /apply , the original HID keyboard Device loads back and our custom driver is not installed. Is there a way to stop sysprep from doing this, or to make my keyboard driver the higher priority driver?

Its weird because even when I simply uninstall the "HID Keyboard Device" through device manager, the drivers still come back after rebooting the machine. Seems like i should be able to at least stop windows from reinstalling the driver after I have uninstalled it

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:09 PM

Answers

• sergey, you need to write a hid kdmf miniport. look at the hidfx2 sample for how to write a KMDF hid miniport driver that is USB basedd. to do another type of transport, net/virtual/whatever, rip out the usb parts and replace. starting with umdf v1.11 (available in win8 down to vista), you can write a HID minidriver in umdf (where networking will be easier)

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• you replaced kbdhid? the supported way to do this is to write a hid miniport driver and leave kbdhid alone. how is this keyboard attached to the system? over usb as a standard usb hid device?  what is custom about the driver?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Hi

We also need to write a some driver for our virtual keyboard.

The keyboard receives input from another application, network or probably some not directly related hardware and should insert some keystrokes into the generic Windows queue.

What kind of a driver recommended in our case? Miniport?

We are working with Win7 x86 and x64.

Also please point me to the appropriate samples if any.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Did not replace any of the native keybord files. thats the problem. After building the driver (using WinDDK) I have an extra sys file (kbfltr.sys) and my own inf file. i install the driver through device manager telling the machine to use my inf file to install the driver. When you look at the driver details in device manager, it shows this driver installs along with the kbdclass and kbhid. The driver catches the Ctrl-Alt-Del keystrokes so that the user can not get to the login screen by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del. This is a usb keyboard driver
    • Edited by althurm Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:11 PM
  • sergey, you need to write a hid kdmf miniport. look at the hidfx2 sample for how to write a KMDF hid miniport driver that is USB basedd. to do another type of transport, net/virtual/whatever, rip out the usb parts and replace. starting with umdf v1.11 (available in win8 down to vista), you can write a HID minidriver in umdf (where networking will be easier)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:56 PM
  • you can control C+A+D actions through policy, no need for a filter (also change the name, it is too common).

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:57 PM
  • We are very grateful. Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:58 AM
  • you can control C+A+D actions through policy, no need for a filter (also change the name, it is too common).

Can you tell me where in the group policy settings I might do this?
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:30 PM
  • I think it is called kiosk mode

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:44 PM