Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms... part deUX

Question

• The question concerns "Blend for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013".

I have (hopefully) a more pointed question about the "Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms."

* I have project settings for both "ARM" and "Win32".

* If I make the tragic mistake of opening my project in Blend when the last build I did in VS was for ARM, I get the dreaded message "Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms.", and Blend will not work for my solution.

* Typically, (but not today), even if I do ARM builds, I can run Blend successfully if I do a Win32 build prior to opening Blend.

* The only way I know to fix Blend working with my project reliably is to reboot my computer, compile for Win32 (I do both my debug and release builds out of fear).  Then Blend will work again.

My question:

Obviously, there is some state saved somewhere that is reset when I reboot.  Do you have any idea (reg edit or anything) that I can use to get Blend working again other than rebooting my computer?

Thanks,

Jim Tomasko

Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi HeadRoach,

Welcome here!

I read what you have wrote carefully, but I still couldn't clear understand what you are describing.

Please refer here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/730526/design-view-is-unavailable-for-x64-and-arm-target-platforms-because-the-document-contains-custom-elements

It has been submitted as a bug.

If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know!

Regards!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Hi Xiaoliang,

After compiling with ARM, then running Blend, the errors stated before happen.  Yes, this is a known bug, and I will hope for the day it's fixed.

Remember the day when Visual Studio would go crazy, and you would have to delete a configuration file to get it working again... that was an example of a known bug, where people had found a way around it.  I looking for something like that.

I can run Blend if I reboot (which is completely different from the bug report which is talking about having errors in your xmal).. I can run Blend if I reboot.

I'm actually asking the population if anybody has found a way to get Blend to stop complaining that my project is ARM without me having to reboot.  (Sometimes if I clean all versions of the solution and rebuild Win32, it will work, but most times I still have to add a reboot to it)

Thanks for looking at it

Monday, November 4, 2013 5:38 AM
  • Hi HeadRoach,

Welcome back!

Thanks for your valuable usecase, I advise you to submit it on http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/

And maybe you could effect the next VS release.:)

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 4, 2013 7:13 AM