Unable to delete vhds blob container RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new VM, using an existing Blob storage container on our account, which in turn created a container named 'vhds' and within it a 30GB vhd file.

I deleted the vm, but the vhds container and file remain. I tried to manually delete the container/file but received the following errror:

"There is currently a lease on the container and no lease ID was specified in the request."

I entered a support ticket, and was told that since the product is in beta, this is the only support available.

So, how do I get rid of the vhds container so we are not charged storage fees for this blob?

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

• Thanks, I forgot to ask that, as it is #3 in the Common Issues - VHD Management post.

3.) Unable to delete VHD blob with error: "There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request."

This will occur if the VHD blob is still referenced as either a disk or image in the Azure Portal. If you delete the image or disk entry that is pointing to this VHD, then the lease will be released allowing delete or modify operations to be performed on the VHD.

Please note that even after deleting a virtual machine the disk for the virtual machine is still retained by default. If you wish to completely delete the VHD you must delete the disk and then delete the blob.

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• Thanks for letting us know and I apologize for the inconvenience. What method did you try using to manual delete it?

If you could please send your subscription ID to iaasforum at microsoft.com, we can investigate it further for you.

Thanks,

Craig

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I am using a 3rd party plugin for VS 2010, called Azure Explorer. I'm not aware of a method to manage individual blobs/containers within the native MS portal UI - is there?

Subscription ID has been emailed as requested.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Nevermind - even though I had deleted the VM, the disk was not deleted. I used the Azure portal UI to delete the disk, and then I could manually remove the blob using AzureExplorer.

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Thanks, I forgot to ask that, as it is #3 in the Common Issues - VHD Management post.

3.) Unable to delete VHD blob with error: "There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request."

This will occur if the VHD blob is still referenced as either a disk or image in the Azure Portal. If you delete the image or disk entry that is pointing to this VHD, then the lease will be released allowing delete or modify operations to be performed on the VHD.

Please note that even after deleting a virtual machine the disk for the virtual machine is still retained by default. If you wish to completely delete the VHD you must delete the disk and then delete the blob.

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:05 PM
  • vhd is deleted after 2 hour of incidet
    Friday, March 22, 2013 11:46 AM
    • Go to the site (manage.windowsazure.com).
    • Click on Virtual Machines.
    • Click on Disks.
    • Click on the disk.
    • Click on Delete Disk.
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:17 PM