none
Threat Modeling Tool 2016 Export (*.TM7) to PDF or Visio? RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Microsoft's Threat Modeling Tool 2016 (*.TM7 format) and have found there to be no way to export the actual stencil into any format which we can graphically present. We have seen various other threads talking about being able to Copy/Paste from TMT over to Visio, but this was all for versions back in 2012 and later. We have Visio Professional 2016 installed, and it will not accept a paste action from TMT, and we have attempted to change the file extension on the TM7 file into about 12 different Visio extensions just to see if that would work.

While the threat report generation and breakdown is certainly a nice feature, we need to be able to represent the visual flow in our executive reports as well. We can't ask all of our c-suite execs and stakeholders to install this software, and simply taking a screenshot of the stencil is not an option either as our workspace is quite large and to include it all means zooming out far enough that nothing is really legible anymore.

Has anyone found a way to do anything even remotely close to this from TMT 2016?

Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:21 PM

Answers

• ** PARTIAL SOLUTION **

We have discovered that if you generate a full report from within Microsoft Threat Modeling Tool 2016, then within that report you will be able to save a PNG representation of your entire stencil workspace. To do so, open your model within Microsoft Threat Modeling Tool 2016 and click on the "Reports -> Create Full Report..." menu item. This will output and HTML file that you choose to save locally on your computer. After opening the report in your browser, you can right-click on the image of the complete model and save the image. You can of course then PDF this image if you would like, but it will not be lossless as a SVG or Vector would be.

I would still vote for there to be some sort of "Export to Visio" or "Save as PDF" functionality to be made available within the application to allow for easier inclusion with other models, or ad-hoc reports.

• Marked as answer by GKauten Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:27 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:27 PM

All replies

• ** PARTIAL SOLUTION **

We have discovered that if you generate a full report from within Microsoft Threat Modeling Tool 2016, then within that report you will be able to save a PNG representation of your entire stencil workspace. To do so, open your model within Microsoft Threat Modeling Tool 2016 and click on the "Reports -> Create Full Report..." menu item. This will output and HTML file that you choose to save locally on your computer. After opening the report in your browser, you can right-click on the image of the complete model and save the image. You can of course then PDF this image if you would like, but it will not be lossless as a SVG or Vector would be.

I would still vote for there to be some sort of "Export to Visio" or "Save as PDF" functionality to be made available within the application to allow for easier inclusion with other models, or ad-hoc reports.

• Marked as answer by GKauten Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:27 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Agreed. This is a confounding limitation on the application, and it would be fantastic if an exportable version of the data mapping could be made available. I've already had colleagues complain that they can't view the data map, as they don't have the application installed. 

C'mon Microsoft. Get with the program. 

Saturday, January 21, 2017 12:10 AM
  • I tried to save with a PDF printer plugin to save the HTML file as PDF and it worked for me. Anyone tried using PrimoPDF or CutePDF? With PNG option, it's difficult to save a full-page image and then merge all those into one PDF. PDF printer plugin tools save time and effort.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:51 PM