none
Unable to connect to Azure SQL Server from SSMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

One of my colleagues just setup a brand new Azure SQL Server database  for us to test TDE.

When connecting to this server from my SSMS I get the error "Login failed for user 'TestUser' "

Here are what has already been configured / tested:

1. My laptop's IP address added to Azure's firewall Client IP address screen

2. I'm connecting with SSMS v17.7

3. Using "SQL Server Authentifcation" and used the Azure's server admin username and password for the login details. My login details are correct. 

4. On Azure SQL Server, I tried connecting to the database via the Query Editor and got the same error "Login failed for user"

Please confirm what else I can configure to be able to connect to Azure SQL from SSMS

Thanks

• Edited by niudata Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:52 AM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:14 AM

Answers

• I get the error "Login failed for user 'TestUser' "

That mean's that the connection to the SQL Azure database works, but the used SQL credentials don't have logon permissions or the password is wrong. Lookup SQL ErrorLog for more details about the logon failure.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by niudata Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:11 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:42 AM

All replies

• I get the error "Login failed for user 'TestUser' "

That mean's that the connection to the SQL Azure database works, but the used SQL credentials don't have logon permissions or the password is wrong. Lookup SQL ErrorLog for more details about the logon failure.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by niudata Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:11 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:42 AM
  • First of all I would recommend you to use SSMS 18 its on General available. Other thing is can you post complete error message or may be screenshot so that I can see what actual error is.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi  Olaf

Thank you, we ended up resetting our password and are now able to login

Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:12 PM