none
Easiest way to implement communication with printer-device using UniDrv driver model? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to write a printer driver for a self-made monochrome serial printer. From what I've seen, thanks to the UniDrv architecture, all I need to do is to write a GPD file (an UniDrv minidriver) specifying the capabilities and Windows will generate a DIB with the right dimensions and depth.

However, I am not sure how the generated data can be sent to the device later on.
    Although it communicates over a serial port  it has a non-standard flow-control and also some status-codes which should be read by some kinf of status monitor.

For now I had the following ideas:

1. Is there a (simple) plug-in API for UniDrv which does exactly what I am hoping for - passing me the raw DIB and let my plugin perform communication with the real device?
    2. Is it possible to let UniDrv store the result of a print operation as a file in some folder I can continously poll? A separate process can poll for files and communicate with the printer.
    3. I though about an UMDF fake serial device the UniDrv driver can directly send the generated data to and which can handle communication with the real printer.

Any hints and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and best regards, Gerhard

• Edited by GHieller Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:25 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:24 PM