none
error in xaml page editor

Question

• I am working on Windows 10 platform. I have the Visual Studio 2015 community edition with update 2. When creating a UWP, the project supplies the MainPage.xmal page.  I change the grid background color to Background="Yellow":

1. the design surface doesn't reflect the change.

2. when the project is built, the following error is generated:

ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.

Stack Trace 

at Windows.UI.Xaml.Hosting.XamlUIPresenter.Present()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.Views.WindowsUIXamlImageHost.HardwarePresentWorker(D3DImageWrapper bitmapWrapper)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.Views.WindowsUIXamlImageHost.PresentWorker(BitmapWrapper bitmapWrapper)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.Views.WindowsUIXamlImageHost.RenderScheduler.CompositionTarget_Rendering(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the error!  what's going on?

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:49 PM

All replies

• here is the xmal:

<Page
        x:Class="App1.MainPage"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:local="using:App1"
        xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
        xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
        mc:Ignorable="d">

<Grid Background="Yellow">

</Grid>
    </Page>

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

Move to Visual Studio General Questions forum for a better support, thanks for your understanding :)

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

>>I change the grid background color to Background="Yellow".

If you didn't change any code in the default project template, whether it has any compiled error or the designer issue? Whether it just has this project in this solution?

Do you test the same project in other VS machine?

Actually I test it in my VS2015 Enterprise with update 2 version, it works well.

My understanding is that the community version also supports it, of course, I will setup a clean VS2015 community machine and test it in my side, I will update the latest information later.

If possible, I suggest you test it in other VS machine, if just your VS Environment has this issue, I suggest you re-download the VS from the official site, and re-install it again.

Before you re-install it, please make sure that it has the same SHA-1 Values.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

English version: "B670AFC74F19247ADE5252A79700764BD5A36623"

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 18, 2016 6:41 AM
  • This is the default project when a new project is created.  Nothing was added or modified except for the background setting.  I have uninstalled and re-installed visual studio 3 times and get the same result every time.  I will say that I'm running a new Asus laptop with windows 10.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

If you run the default UWP app without changing "Background="Yellow".", how about the result?

Actually I also setup a clean VS2015 community with update 2 windows 10 Environment, it still works well in my side.

If possible, please reset your VS settings, so we could know that whether it is related to the VS settings:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx

And then create a new project, you could also open your VS in safe mode, so we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins or extension tools:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

Please select the debug target "local machine", test it again.

If still no help, please share us the detailed output messages in the Output window.

Please also use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. We will check that whether it is the VS setup issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:05 AM
  • I started vs in safemode per your suggestion.  tried to create a new wua and received this error:

There is a missing project subtype.
    Subtype: {A5A43C5B-DE2A-4C0C-9213-0A381AF9435A} is
    unsupported by this installation.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

>>There is a missing project subtype.
    Subtype: {A5A43C5B-DE2A-4C0C-9213-0A381AF9435A} is
    unsupported by this installation.

It seems that it missed certain package or certain packages setup failed.

Do you install your VS using the "custom" option? Please make sure that you enable all packages which are related to the UWP apps.

1) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE);
    2) Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;
    3) Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)/ VS2012 x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator);
    4) Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch;
    5) Run the devenv /Setup switch

And then re-open your VS as the admin, check it again.

If still no help, like my previous suggestion, we need to analyze the VS setup log messages.

You can get the log files with the following steps:
    1) Download collect.exe from the link below. <http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043>
    2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
    3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You could upload your log files to the one drive and share us the downloaded link, I will check it in my side.

Thanks,

Jack 

Saturday, April 23, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

What about this issue? Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:56 AM
  • i ran collect.exe which created the vslogs.zip file.  I have placed it in onedrive here: 

vslogs.zip

i have been unable to resolve this problem.  thanks for all the help

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi danhenderson12,

Sorry for that I didn't get the Email warning for your reply, I will check the log and share you the latest information later.

In addition, just one issue is that whether other project still has this issue, for example, just add a control to the WPF or Winform, and then set the color for the control's background is yellow, how about the result?

Or how about using other software in your windows which has the color, for example,  The Paint software in your windows. We have to make sure that it is not the windows issue firstly.

Of course, I will download your setup log and share you the latest information in time.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 09, 2016 7:38 AM
  • update:

I got some error messages:

[2E04:2AF8][2016-04-12T11:40:15]e000: Error 0x80070002: Failed to move verified file to complete payload path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{0780A1F4-A089-3156-9996-6A1DC1342A96}v14.0.23918\packages\vcRedistD14\debug\x86\cab1.cab
    [2E04:2AF8][2016-04-12T11:40:15]e000: Error 0x80070002: Failed to cache payload: cabFC924CD47508B71CDA48E97890535815
    [19F4:2D7C][2016-04-12T11:40:15]i000: MUX:  Set Result: Return Code=-2147024894 (0x80070002), Error Message=, Result Detail=, Vital=False, Package Action=Verify, Package Id=vcRuntimeDebugD14_x86
    [19F4:2D7C][2016-04-12T11:40:15]e314: Failed to cache payload: cabFC924CD47508B71CDA48E97890535815 from working path: C:\Users\DanHe\AppData\Local\Temp\{04fa3a35-1f49-4510-8051-819cdc1e6e01}\cabFC924CD47508B71CDA48E97890535815, error: 0x80070002.
    [19F4:2D7C][2016-04-12T11:40:15]e349: Application requested retry of payload: cabFC924CD47508B71CDA48E97890535815, encountered error: 0x80070002. Retrying...

Could you clean up your temp folder in your windows? And then re-install the VS again. It seems that it has so many files in your temp folder which impacts the new files' cache in it.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 09, 2016 8:55 AM