3D printing of STL files.

Question

• I am writing an 3d printing app. I have an 3d model STL file which I need to print with 3d printer. Can anyone help me out with printing the STL files ?

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi utsav_popli,

Could this be a good tutorial: Quickstart: 3D printing.  By the way, 3D Print Sample is a good start to be a demo.

3D Manufacturing Format (3MF) is the correct format to be printed, I'm not familiar with STL file, and how to translate it to 3MF.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:33 AM
  • I am following both tutorials. But it is using the in-memory image to print the object. I want to let user load the STL file and then print it. 
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:39 AM
  • So your question could be how to load STL file into the app?

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Yes, and then convert the stl file into 3mf format to print it 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi utsav_popli,

Probably your question is out of my knowledge scope, but you can always get support by following channel:

I cannot find more information from MSDN documentation except those two article. But as I know STL format is kind of below (ref from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)):

facet normal ni nj nk outer loop vertex v1x v1y v1z vertex v2x v2y v2z vertex v3x v3y v3z endloop endfacet

UINT8[80] – Header
    UINT32 – Number of triangles

foreach triangle
    REAL32[3] – Normal vector
    REAL32[3] – Vertex 1
    REAL32[3] – Vertex 2
    REAL32[3] – Vertex 3
    UINT16 – Attribute byte count
    end

However 3MF is a kind of XML format, I'm afraid you have to write your own code to convert, or to find some third party code for helping.

Let's see if some community members are experienced with your question:)

--James

====

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Ok Thank you!
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:05 PM
  • I am writing a 3d printer app in visual c++. The task is to load STL / 3MF file and then send it to printer to print it. 

How we load a STL file and then send it to printer. 

I am following the article but it is of no use:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh780609.aspx

I also i am trying to play with windows sdk. 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:03 PM