locked
SSRS Autorefresh causing report to crash RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

    We have a couple of reports that have been built in ReportBuilder where the AutoRefresh has been set to 900 seconds (15 minutes). after about an hour the report stops working and the following error message is displayed:

    'An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError)'

    I have been told by the DB that there is plenty of disk space, but cannot understand why it suddenly stops working. Incidentally, I took a copy of the report and set that to 300 seconds (5 minutes) - this run for a few hours without crashing.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, but please keep the terminology fairly simple :-)]

    Regards.

    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:16 AM

Answers

  • Hi Lukas,

    Thanks for your reply.

    This is the first report that we have scheduled like this.

    I changed the autorefresh to 300 seconds (5 minutes) and the report has been running over 18 hours without any problems.

    Therefore I am assuming that the issue is somewhere between the web browser and the database.

    Anyway, it's now working (at the moment) so all is good and thanks for your help.

    Martin

    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:29 AM

All replies

  • There is a possibility that when AutoRefresh is 900 sec, the report is querying more data and filling up your report server tempdb.

    Please have a look at the ReportServerDB.dbo.ExecutionLog for both run (900 & 300 sec) to see how many rows the report query is returning. 


    Suresh
    My Scribbling

    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

    The report has 3 queries returning as follows:

    maximum of 40 records, 1 record and 1 record.

    Therefore I would assume that it is not a space issue!

    Regards,

    Martin

    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Hi Martin,

    Since the report ran for about an hour, I assume it has refreshed successfully for 2-3 times? So, is the crash a universal problem for all reports in your server, or just for this one?  Does this phenomenon happens every time you run this report or just occasionally ?

    You could provide the Errorlog of ReportServer, with the info of this crash.  Also, what version of SSRS are you using?

    Lukas


    MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

    Thanks for your reply.

    This is the first report that we have scheduled like this.

    I changed the autorefresh to 300 seconds (5 minutes) and the report has been running over 18 hours without any problems.

    Therefore I am assuming that the issue is somewhere between the web browser and the database.

    Anyway, it's now working (at the moment) so all is good and thanks for your help.

    Martin

    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hi Martin,

    OK, glad it's working anyhow. I also think the issue lies somewhere in the SSRS configuration or web browser.

    You could mark your workaround as answer, that may help those people who has similar issue.

    Lukas


    MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:29 AM