Types of application that can be run under Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting to learn about Azure and the cloud and I'm not clear about what types of application it can host.

For example I have an old VB6 application - am I right in thinking that there is no hope for running such an app under Azure and that I'd effectively have to convert it to an ASP.Net application with a browser UI?

Also, is there any scope for running the development environment (i.e. Visual Studio itself) under Azure?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:37 AM

Answers

• Azure is best suited to web and console applications. You may be able to run your vb6 application but the problem is that even if you did, there's no easy way to access it.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:43 AM
  • In addition to what Brent already said, you can't run IDE under Azure environment. You do not have Administrative privileges on the Azure subsystem, and you can't execute any programm or process that requires elevation.

While you can run console apps within Windows Azure environment, it is very hard to track them, and is only appropriate for programs such as PHP (to run PHP sites within windows Azure) or MySQL ( to host MySQL Database under Azure).

A VB6 Application would be one that utilizies UI, which in case of runing in Windows Azure will run on some Virtual Machine, to which you, and noone (beside Microsoft's engineers maybe) has Remote Desktop session, so noone will be able to see the UI of your application. Speaking of converting to ASP.NET would be the most appropriate and suitable way for your application to run in Windows Azure.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:38 PM

All replies

• Azure is best suited to web and console applications. You may be able to run your vb6 application but the problem is that even if you did, there's no easy way to access it.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:43 AM
  • In addition to what Brent already said, you can't run IDE under Azure environment. You do not have Administrative privileges on the Azure subsystem, and you can't execute any programm or process that requires elevation.

While you can run console apps within Windows Azure environment, it is very hard to track them, and is only appropriate for programs such as PHP (to run PHP sites within windows Azure) or MySQL ( to host MySQL Database under Azure).

A VB6 Application would be one that utilizies UI, which in case of runing in Windows Azure will run on some Virtual Machine, to which you, and noone (beside Microsoft's engineers maybe) has Remote Desktop session, so noone will be able to see the UI of your application. Speaking of converting to ASP.NET would be the most appropriate and suitable way for your application to run in Windows Azure.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:38 PM