Moving to Web App Development RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access 2010 Database with some VBA behind it. 

I am volunteering for a non-profit so I have few resources to put behind this project.

Right now the db resides on a shared server (not split) and is used by two users.  Not being split has not been a problem because it has not been used by one individual a great deal.

I want to add two additional users but they are not in the same location.

How easy is it to adapt such a database to a Web app.  I know VBA pretty well, but have no idea how to do anything on the web.

Suggestions on where I could/should start? 

MS - Teach me to fish

Monday, February 19, 2018 11:03 PM

All replies

• Does your hosting service offer databases? Or is the website in a server belonging to the non-profit? I am not sure what you mean by "shared server" but a web application would be a possibility but Access is not a good solution for that. Please provide more information.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, February 19, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Thanks Sam,

The server is really just a PC that is shared.  I misspoke when I said it was a server.

I am not sure what their website offers

Pax,

Mary

MS - Teach me to fish

Monday, February 19, 2018 11:34 PM
  • Is the shared PC in the same network as the additional two computers? If so then you might be able to make it into a server using IIS but you might need to pay for SQL Server. I don't know about licensing but MySQL might be an option. Or you could use SQL Server or MySQL as the database in the shared server and then use that from the other systems. Azure is an option; it probably would be economical.

Creating an application for their web site would be a good choice. If they have an existing web site and use of a database that would not cost more then use of that would be essentially free.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, February 19, 2018 11:45 PM
  • Thanks Sam.  I will ask about who hosts their website and what is available through that.

We keep a lot of data.  It is two data-entry users in the same location and two view-only users (the new ones).  I will look at both options you suggested.

MS - Teach me to fish

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:03 AM
  • Look over https://www.devhut.net/2016/09/24/access-back-end-location-wan-online-server-onedrive-dropbox/

You really need to split your database.

Also, web apps are dead, so don't waste your time going down that road.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:58 AM
  • It sounds like you do not have a multi-user environment as ACCESS defines it. You have a single application residing on a single PC that is sometimes used by two different people, but not at the same time. So you need to be careful how you use the word "shared" here. Now you want two other people who are not at the location where the PC resides to be able to just view data. Is that correct?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Hi lismeta,

What do you mean by Web App?

Is it Access web app or Asp.net web app?

If you mean Access web app, as the suggestion from Daniel, Access web app are dead, and there is no need for you to migrate your access database to Access web app.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:43 AM