Win8/Win7 Dualboot. From Win8 can see the existing Win7 partition and folder structure but NO files.

Question

• I've installed Win8 Developer Preview on a new partition (with Win7 Dual Boot), and can see the existing Win7 partition in Windows Explorer. I can see the folder structure but no files. Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:31 AM

All replies

• Does you specify the permission on the folders in Win7. And please ensure the partition label is same with it in Windows 7, since one partition may be the different name with it in the other Windows OS.

By the way, I introduce you one way to install the WIN 8 DP in gthe VHD, and create the boot for the both Win 7 and 8. One bloge may help you on it: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideToInstallingAndBootingWindows8DeveloperPreviewOffAVHDVirtualHardDisk.aspx

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:06 AM
  • On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:06:23 +0000, Bob Bao wrote:

And please ensure the partition label is same with it in Windows 7, since one partition may be the different name with it in the other Windows OS.

First of all, this is actually not possible. A partition or a volume can
    have only 1 label (what you refer to as a name is technically known as a
    volume label). If you change a label when booted to 1 OS, the same label
    will appear when booted to another OS. Secondly, the volume label has
    nothing whatsoever to do with one's ability or lack thereof to see files on
    that volume.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:59 AM
  • I boot my Win 8 from VHD, but the partition label of the VHD changed to C:, so my origianl partition labels have changed to others. Just one specific scenario.
    Bob Bao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:40 AM
  • On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:40:03 +0000, Bob Bao wrote:

I boot my Win 8 from VHD, but the?partition label of the VHD changed to C:, so my origianl partition labels have changed to others. Just one specific scenario.

Again, you're wrong. You're now talking about drive letters, not volume
    labels, they are two completely different things. Having a different drive
    letter will have no impact on whether or not files are visible.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Save energy:  Drive a smaller shell.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:51 AM
  • A good discussion, yes, I know the volume label and the drive letter are the different. But from a supporter point, anything is possible, why? Since we should guess any scenarios may occur. For OP's question, I just guess he may not focus the drive letter, perhaps his files are stored in one drive, for example "d:", but he may still think the files are in the "d:" drive; However, not, if he install the Win 8 same with I, OP may not find them in the "d:". So he should try to check other drives.

In my support experience, the strange behaviour may be a very simple mistake. But we should help our customers to guess.

Thanks Paul for this feedback.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:33 PM