none
Share Building Blocks between Word and Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to share Word's Building Block templates with Outlook? Given that Office has been sharing lots of other things between programs for many years I thought this would be obvious and easy but haven't found a way so far.

I can place a Building Block template for Word in a shared network location and have it available for all Word users, both through the user interface and programmatically. I would like to do this for Outlook as well, using the same Word template in the same location - and especially programmatically.

I know I can automate Word from Outlook and get the quick part text that way but the problem seems to be that the WordEditor object model used in Outlook doesn't support Word templates.

I just wanted to check if I have understood the situation correctly. And if so, is it still the same in Office 2013 as well?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Willy

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hello Willyv55,

Nothing has changed so far. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class has the following description for Outlook 2013 in MSDN:

The WordEditor property is only valid if the IsWordMail method returns True and the EditorType property is olEditorWord. The returned WordDocument object provides access to most of the Word object model except for the following members:

• Tables.Add                

• Range.ConvertToTable                

• InlineShapes.AddChart                

• Shapes.AddChart                

• Range.InsertXML                

• Selection.InsertXML                

• Range.ImportFragment

• Marked as answer by Willyv55 Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:10 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Willyv55,

Nothing has changed so far. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class has the following description for Outlook 2013 in MSDN:

The WordEditor property is only valid if the IsWordMail method returns True and the EditorType property is olEditorWord. The returned WordDocument object provides access to most of the Word object model except for the following members:

• Tables.Add                

• Range.ConvertToTable                

• InlineShapes.AddChart                

• Shapes.AddChart                

• Range.InsertXML                

• Selection.InsertXML                

• Range.ImportFragment

• Marked as answer by Willyv55 Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:10 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Thanks Eugene, it seems this isn't going to happen in the near future though I think it would be very useful.

Willy

Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:10 PM