none
Location platform unreliable? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop with three location sensors in it: a GPS sensor, and two triangulation/lookup sensors (Orion, Skyhook). I ran a test for over 24 hours this past weekend, registering for reports from all three via the sensors API, and from the location service itself, and logged the resulting location data for all four.

What I noticed was that the GPS sensor would drop in/out as coverage changed, but that the other two would keep on providing reports, just with varying accuracy. This makes sense, and is what I expected.

What I didn't expect was that the reports from the location platform would drop out entirely for minutes at a time (up to 20 minutes in the worst case). What would be the reason for this? If one or more location sensors on the machine are actively providing location reports, why would the location service go silent?

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:34 PM

All replies

• I am not sure exactly how those sensors work, but from my experience in creating the GPS Sensor I can tell you that the ILocation is volatile, it should immediately released when you get the info - don't keep the pointer.

Perhaps that might help you in resolving your problem.

Michael
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Is it possible for you to share your logs ?
    Friday, July 9, 2010 4:26 PM