License File not publishing RRS feed

• Question

• User-1019558660 posted

Hello,

We are useing a 3rd party component that requires a license file to be included in the bin directory.  But when the site is published, the file is missing and it has to be manually copied onto the production server.  How can I get this file to be included?  I have looked at deployment projects, but they seem way over complicated for what I need to do. 

Many thanks!

Graham

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:42 AM

Answers

• User-900677162 posted

HI, Graham: 

You need to copy the application files you have created from your development computer to the production Web server that will host your application. You can use the XCOPY command-line tool or your preferred FTP application to copy the files from one location to another.

You can check out this walkthrough:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f735abw9.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:30 AM

All replies

• User-900677162 posted

HI, Graham: 

You need to copy the application files you have created from your development computer to the production Web server that will host your application. You can use the XCOPY command-line tool or your preferred FTP application to copy the files from one location to another.

You can check out this walkthrough:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f735abw9.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:30 AM
  • User-1019558660 posted

Thank you Rex!

I am using Beyond Compare to do a similar process now.  I Publish the Web Application to a folder on my laptop and then use Beyond Compare to update the production server without incurring changes to the License file or the production web.config.  It would just be nice to publish it directly from VS without needing the extra step to verify that changes have not occurred to these files.   Perhaps MS will take this into account on a future release.

Graham

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:04 PM
  • User-1019558660 posted

Thank you Rex!

I am using Beyond Compare to do a similar process now.  I Publish the Web Application to a folder on my laptop and then use Beyond Compare to update the production server without incurring changes to the License file or the production web.config.  It would just be nice to publish it directly from VS without needing the extra step to verify that changes have not occurred to these files.   Perhaps MS will take this into account on a future release.

Graham

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:06 PM
  • User-851539545 posted

Although I am replying several years after the original post, I found the following modification to my web.config to be helpful:

<configuration>
       <system.web>
          <compilation>
                  <buildProviders>
                           <remove extension=".lic"/>
                           <add extension=".lic" type="System.Web.Compilation.ForceCopyBuildProvider"/>
                   </buildProviders>
           </compilation>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:32 PM