none
Searching Solution Explorer with Roslyn Source causes VS to restart

Question

• Load Roslyn source in Visual Studio Update 1, after load completes type DefaultMarshallingCharSet into Search Solution Explorer box. Wait a while and you will see some results and then VS will restart with no message.

It also happens with other strings but DefaultMarshallingCharSet causes it to happen 100% of the time.

Friday, December 25, 2015 11:47 PM

Answers

• The crash was caused by a third-party tool NuGetReferences. This tool is throwing an exception that Visual Studio is not expected.

The exception message is:
    Could not find file ...\roslyn-update-1\src\Scripting\CoreTest\packages.config'.
    And the call stack is:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(. . .)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
    at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials, IWebProxy proxy, RequestCachePolicy cachePolicy)
    at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.FinishInitUriString()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(String uriStr, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext context, XmlResolver uriResolver)
    at System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings.CreateReader(String inputUri, XmlParserContext inputContext)
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
    at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
    at Kzu.NuGetReferences.ReferencesGraphProvider.GetInstalledPackages(String packagesConfig)
    at Kzu.NuGetReferences.ReferencesGraphProvider.SearchNextItem(String term, IGraphContext context)

• Edited by Paul M Cohen Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul M Cohen Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul M Cohen,

Glad to see you again:)

>>DefaultMarshallingCharSet into Search Solution Explorer box. Wait a while and you will see some results and then VS will restart with no message.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you mean that you use the "search" function like A in the following screen shot? You mean that you input "DefaultMarshallingCharSet" in A, and then search in your solution, but the VS restarted, am I right? If so, whether all projects have the same issue?

>>Load Roslyn source in Visual Studio Update 1.

My understanding is that you open the specific solution/project, am I right? Do you mean that just the specific project has this issue? Whether this project was related to the "Microsoft "Roslyn" CTP " like this forum here

If just the specific project has this issue, whether you could compile and run your app in your VS?

As my understanding, if the VS search function of solution explorer has an issue, all projects would have the same result, that's the reason why I want to know that whether all projects have the same issue.

But if just the specific project which uses the DefaultMarshallingCharSet strings, maybe we would think about that whether the current VS could really compile and run this project type.

Of course, if possible, you could share me a simple sample with one drive, please also tell me the real VS Environment in your side, I will set the same Environment and repro this issue using your sample. 

If I misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 28, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Yes you type into the box as you said. It does not happen with all solutions just very large ones. The largest I know and one I am working with is the Open Source Roslyn on GitHub. I happen to be using Update 1 of Roslyn source but that does not matter. The restart/crash happens with both VS 2015 RTM and Update1. Many strings cause the problem but not all, I know the one listed above causes it to happen 100% of the time. It also happens on the Microsoft Azure VM with Visual Studio installed. No additional code is required. I am running VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 1. The project compiles with one know error #6682 that the Roslyn team is addressing.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 7:31 AM
  • Hi Paul M Cohen,

>>Yes you type into the box as you said. It does not happen with all solutions just very large ones. The largest I know and one I am working with is the Open Source Roslyn on GitHub.

If just the specific solution has this issue, it is hard for us to make sure that it is the VS IDE's issue.

As you said that just the large solution has this issue, maybe we would think about the project files or others.

Some community members met certain performance issue during developing very large solutions.

(1) So if possible, we suggest you create different solutions for different projects if they have no direct relationship.

(2) Delete the .suo files in your solution folder, and then re-open your solution, clean and rebuild, and then use the search function again.

(3)To really make sure that it is not related to your VS IDE, please also test it in other VS 2015 machine if it is hard for you to share us a simple sample. Of course, if you have no other Environment, if possible, just share us a simple sample using one drive, I will test it in my side using the same Environment as yours.

(4) To make sure that it is not related to add-ins or extension tools, please run your VS as the admin or in safe mode. Check the result.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

(5)Please also make sure that your task manager is free during developing this specific solution, so please close all other third party tools/processes in your windows.

Since just the specific solution has this issue, I think we would think about the performance issue firstly. Of course, please also make sure that no any compiled errors in your current solution now.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:08 AM
  • I don't need to create an image one exists https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/archive/update-1.zip, download this zip open Roslyn.sln and search. Unless you follow a few other instructions this will not build and have 1,000 of errors but not of that effects the crash.

It happens in Admin mode as well, Roslyn will not load in SafeMode. Roslyn is a single Solution managed by GitHub why would I want to create separate projects and try to figure out how they are related. I am trying to reproduce a Roslyn crash in DefaultMarshallingCharSet so I need to run my application with the rest of Roslyn to set a breakpoint (something I don't understand how to do, but that topic is for another thread)

Visual Studio should never just exit without warning doing something as simple as a search in a box that is always present in the Solutions Window.

I have a workaround use find instead followed by Go to Definition but with Roslyn this is complicated because functions with the same name exists in multiple places and find is very slow (minutes).

It happens on the Microsoft Azure VM with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition and nothing else.

There is no .suo file in the solutions Directory, there is one in this directory .vs\Roslyn\v14 which is location under the Solution directory.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Please ignore comment about Roslyn not working in Safe Mode. I refreshed my source from the wrong zip file and corrupted it. That is fixed the original issue still exists.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Hi Paul,

>>It happens on the Microsoft Azure VM with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition and nothing else.

So you mean that it just has this issue in the specific Azure VM, am I right?

So the same app worked well if you use the "search" function in other VS machine, am I right?

Did you get any error during you setup your VS?

What is your VM's configurations?

I download your sample, and test it in my side using the VS2015 Enterprise version with update 1. It seems that it worked well in my side.

Since it worked well in my side, I think we would think about the system performance and your VS IDE like the setup.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:39 AM
  • It happens on my machine and my Azure VM, the crash happens after the display you show. There should be 109-150 projects that need to load (I have tried removing some but it doesn't help) and multipleDefaultMarshallingCharSet that appear before the crash. Is there a crash log that I can provide?

• Edited by Paul M Cohen Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi Paul M Cohen,

>>Is there a crash log that I can provide?

Maybe you could use the command line:

Devenv /log

Reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272.aspx

Actually for the crashed issue, it is hard for us to find the answer directly, but one idea is that you could collect the crashed dump file, and then debug the dump file.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx

>>the crash happens after the display you show. There should be 109-150 projects that need to load (I have tried removing some but it doesn't help) and multipleDefaultMarshallingCharSet that appear before the crash.

But if we make sure that just the big solution has this issue, if possible, I suggest you create several solutions for different projects even if you remove some projects, test it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:53 AM
  • If you were using Roslyn-Update-1 source you should have 109 project and it should find many matches for DefaultMarshallingCharSet. You only have 40 projects and one match, how is that possible using the same solution?

Since this solution causes the issue 100% of the time why do you want me to remove things to make it go away?

I can only debug it if I have Source to the Visual Studio IDE which is not Open Source.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:51 AM
  • Hi Paul,

>> source you should have 109 project and it should find many matches for DefaultMarshallingCharSet. You only have 40 projects and one match.

Sorry for that I ignore this issue before.

Do I need to install any extension tools except the default VS2015 IDE? I open the download file, if I use the default VS to open it, I just got about 40 projects, it still has some compiled errors and warning messages, but found no information tell me that I couldn't open certain projects,  as you said that if it has 109 projects, whether you install any extension tools or Nugget package in your default VS IDE?

In addition, did you get any log messages in your side?

If you collect the crashed dump files, but it is hard for you to analyze/debug the dump file, To get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

The report team experts will help you debug your crashed dump file and find useful information, of course, please attach the dump file to your connect report after you submit it.

If you submit it, please share me the link here, if I could repro this issue after I setup the same VS Environment as yours, I will help you vote your report.

Best Regards,

Jack

update:

It seems that the real issue is that it has three .sln file in the default folder.

If I open the Roslyn.sln, I got 127 projects, but if I search the test in this solution, I just get the result like the following screen shot. One issue is that the error count was dynamic like A, it was increased.

Friday, January 01, 2016 5:54 AM
  • When Visual Studio crashes, you don't get any Dialogs and I have tried running it under another instance of Visual Studio and it just restarts none of the options to capture the issue shown in your article.

Friday, January 01, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Roslyn.SLN it the correct solution, how to get rid of the errors is explained in ReadMe.MD. Some of the references being searched for may be in generated code.

I reported the error on Connect #2192579.

Friday, January 01, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Hi Paul M Cohen,

Thanks for your friendly response.

So no any extension tool installed in your VS IDE, am I right?

Actually my VS IDE is not crashed even if the error was dynamic, but I couldn't get the same result like this one shared by you(I will setup a new VS machine and test it again):

Could you collect the crashed dump file using the following document?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

>>It happens on my machine and my Azure VM.

If no crashed dump file, and the VS just restarted automatically, could you collect the VS setup log messages, maybe we would think about the VS IDE itself if just your two Environments have this issue.

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Have a nice holiday,

Jack

Friday, January 01, 2016 8:25 AM
  • There is no crash dump, I am running VS under VS and the Master VS is happy as could be thinking the child version is still running. How long should the framework collection take it has been running for 30 minutes with no sign of stopping, creating 10,000's of log files.

Saturday, January 02, 2016 12:20 AM
  • Hi Paul M Cohen,

Could you collect the log file using the http://aka.ms/vscollect? Could you re-install your VS? Check it again. Did you get any error message if you re-install your VS? If no, maybe it is not the VS setup issue, maybe you could share me the log file, I will analyze the detailed log message in my side.

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, January 04, 2016 11:26 AM
  • reinstalling has no effect and produces no errors. I was able to capture the crash with the VS feedback tool but the dmp file is 2 gigabytes and will not upload to the connect site  the feedback tool did upload it somewhere. I am running the tool above overnight I will send results in the morning
    Monday, January 04, 2016 12:29 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5BF2F69E9B9FA722!13902&authkey=!ACFoIsszCtLyLmA&ithint=file%2czip

Link to vscollect file

Let me know when you download it so I can delete it.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Hi Paul M Cohen,

It seems that it is not the whole log files, and I also find no VS setup error messages during the current log files.

I setup a new VS2015 machine, I also couldn't repro this issue in my side. So analyze the dump file would be a possible way now.

>>I was able to capture the crash with the VS feedback tool but the dmp file is 2 gigabytes and will not upload to the connect site  the feedback tool did upload it somewhere.

Maybe you could submit a report, the report team experts will share you a way to upload the dump files.

Thanks,

Jack

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 11:39 AM
  • I have uploaded it to connect site. I will wait for their response.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi Paul,

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2192579/searching-solution-explorer-with-roslyn-source-causes-vs-to-restart

As you already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, may the senior members can provide more professional support.

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 2:03 AM
  • Perfect
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 2:12 AM
  • The crash was caused by a third-party tool NuGetReferences. This tool is throwing an exception that Visual Studio is not expected.

The exception message is:
    Could not find file ...\roslyn-update-1\src\Scripting\CoreTest\packages.config'.
    And the call stack is:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(. . .)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
    at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials, IWebProxy proxy, RequestCachePolicy cachePolicy)
    at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.FinishInitUriString()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(String uriStr, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext context, XmlResolver uriResolver)
    at System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings.CreateReader(String inputUri, XmlParserContext inputContext)
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
    at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
    at Kzu.NuGetReferences.ReferencesGraphProvider.GetInstalledPackages(String packagesConfig)
    at Kzu.NuGetReferences.ReferencesGraphProvider.SearchNextItem(String term, IGraphContext context)

• Edited by Paul M Cohen Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul M Cohen Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:40 PM