DD Preview 2 doco RRS feed

• Question

• User-720002110 posted

Hi, is there somewhere with some notes on preview 2 fields/etc, and differences from L2S to EF?

Some questions, if someone would be so kind:

1. What's the difference in use between the "Filter" and "FilterUIHint" attributes?

2. I've worked through SampleProject from preview 2, and also tested filters, from what I can tell, the Filter and FilterUIHint attributes only work for L2S currently? (equally the DynamicFilter control only works for L2S)?

3. Is it possible to confirm the filters will be enabled for EF in a future preview? (so I know whether I can wait or need to change to L2S)

Note- I've seen some posts unsure about the error "The filter control '<FilterId>' does not support this operation because it is associated with an unsupported column '<columnname>'." - I'm getting this error associated with trying to use a DynamicFilter with an EF column- I'm including this note to see if it's the reason, and also so people searching might find the answer.

I apologise if there's somewhere which has notes on things like this already which I should be looking at, and do appreciate the answer I'm able to find on this forum.

+M

Friday, January 2, 2009 8:31 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

Note- I've seen some posts unsure about the error "The filter control '<FilterId>' does not support this operation because it is associated with an unsupported column '<columnname>'." - I'm getting this error associated with trying to use a DynamicFilter with an EF column- I'm including this note to see if it's the reason, and also so people searching might find the answer.

I think this error is because you are taking advantage of the newer filtering capabilities of eithe DD Preview or DD Futures for this to work you will need to change the DynamicFilter to the DelegatingFilter as the delagating filter knows to swap out the filter for one in the Filters folder.

1. What's the difference in use between the "Filter" and "FilterUIHint" attributes?

Also I suspect that the differance is that you have DD Futures and DD Preview in there and there may be some duplication, I know I read that the preview had DD Futures in there with no real changes from the last DD Futures relaese.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:03 AM
  • User-797310475 posted

As Stephen pointed out, FilterAttribute is only used in the DynamicDataFuturesSample project, which is a slightly older sample project that has not been fully updated. The "plain" SampleProject contains newer contents that will be a lot closer to what will ship in 4.0.

Regarding filtering the relevant attributes are:

• FilterUIHintAttribute, which is the equivalent of UIHintAttribute, but for filters
    • DisplaAttribute, which has the AutoGenerateFilter and Order properties, which took over some of the responsibilities from the original FilterAttribute

2. I've worked through SampleProject from preview 2, and also tested filters, from what I can tell, the Filter and FilterUIHint attributes only work for L2S currently? (equally the DynamicFilter control only works for L2S)?

3. Is it possible to confirm the filters will be enabled for EF in a future preview? (so I know whether I can wait or need to change to L2S)

Yes, the new filtering model will work for both L2S and EF. Currently the limiting factor for EF is the fact the EntityDataSource does not support the new QueryBlock control, which is what the filters require to work correctly. This will be addressed by RTM time.

Monday, January 5, 2009 2:46 PM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

I think this error is because you are taking advantage of the newer filtering capabilities of eithe DD Preview or DD Futures for this to work you will need to change the DynamicFilter to the DelegatingFilter as the delagating filter knows to swap out the filter for one in the Filters folder.

Also I suspect that the differance is that you have DD Futures and DD Preview in there and there may be some duplication, I know I read that the preview had DD Futures in there with no real changes from the last DD Futures relaese.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:03 AM
  • User-797310475 posted

As Stephen pointed out, FilterAttribute is only used in the DynamicDataFuturesSample project, which is a slightly older sample project that has not been fully updated. The "plain" SampleProject contains newer contents that will be a lot closer to what will ship in 4.0.

Regarding filtering the relevant attributes are:

• FilterUIHintAttribute, which is the equivalent of UIHintAttribute, but for filters
    • DisplaAttribute, which has the AutoGenerateFilter and Order properties, which took over some of the responsibilities from the original FilterAttribute

Yes, the new filtering model will work for both L2S and EF. Currently the limiting factor for EF is the fact the EntityDataSource does not support the new QueryBlock control, which is what the filters require to work correctly. This will be addressed by RTM time.

Monday, January 5, 2009 2:46 PM
  • User-720002110 posted

Thanks, and looking fwds to the RTM version! Appreciated.

Friday, January 9, 2009 5:43 PM