New tile's updating mechanism in the Win 8.1

Question

• Hello!

On the small lecture (some small tech talk about Win8), I've heard about a new mechanism tile's updating in the 8.1 instead "background task" in 8.0.

Could you please advise where can I read about this mechanism? 

Monday, April 14, 2014 11:58 AM

All replies

• There were no updates to the WinRT API set that I am aware of in Windows 8.1.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Matt means there were no updates for the Windows 8.1 Update, not for Windows 8.1 itself.

Tile updates were never tied to Background Tasks. While they could be sent from there, that was always a last and poor choice. In most cases either scheduled updates or pushing from the server was better.

Windows 8.1 added a new feature to automatically download updated tiles from a server. You can set this up by providing a URL in your manifest. There is a field for it in the manifest designer in Visual Studio.

--Rob

Monday, April 14, 2014 3:36 PM
    Owner
  • Matt means there were no updates for the Windows 8.1 Update, not for Windows 8.1 itself.

Tile updates were never tied to Background Tasks. While they could be sent from there, that was always a last and poor choice. In most cases either scheduled updates or pushing from the server was better.

Windows 8.1 added a new feature to automatically download updated tiles from a server. You can set this up by providing a URL in your manifest. There is a field for it in the manifest designer in Visual Studio.

--Rob

Hi Rob!

1. I mean that only the background task can update tiles when user have closed the app in the Win 8.0

Is it right? Or are there any other ways in the Win 8.0?

2. What do mean about server? It's some internet access by http to the pictures which are placed on the web host?

3.  If I understand correctly Win 8.1 has new feature to update tiles when the app is closed. What is it? Is it the using of a server?

4. Is there any way to update tiles when app is closed and don't use a server in the Win 8.1?

• Edited by _dima Monday, April 14, 2014 4:27 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 4:13 PM
  • And sorry for my bad English. I will try to figure my questions more clearly. But there is some misunderstanding. 
    • Edited by _dima Monday, April 14, 2014 4:28 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 4:25 PM