none
RefEdit control in Excel 2016 for Mac RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have developed an Add-In for Excel that uses RefEdit controls. It works fine in Excel 2011 for Mac, but in Excel 2016 for Mac the RefEdit controls looks like small TextBox controls. Nothing happens when you click on them, but you can type text into them.

Regards,

Michael

Monday, September 7, 2015 6:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• This forum is for Excel for Developers discussions and questions that are either non-application specific and/or are not specific to one of the product specific forums in this category.
    If you have questions about Excel 2016 for Mac, please go here:

https://community.office365.com/en-us/office_2016_preview/f/

Thank you for your understanding.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by MiLa97 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MiLa97 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by MiLa97 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:47 PM
  • I don't understand why this topic doesn't belong in this forum (Excel for Developers). This is obviously a problem with Excel that any developer trying to develop a solution with a UserForm containing RefEdits will encounter.

You have too many different topics, and I find it difficult to even find half of the ones I'm interested in. When I went to the new link of the article, I got an error. When I stripped off the period which snuck onto the end of the URL, I got to the article, but since Excel 2016 for Mac is no longer in preview, the article could not be answered.

The problem brought up by the OP is still relevant in the RTM version, but you have prevented anyone from answering the question.

Well done.

Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Peltier Tech Blog

Monday, September 28, 2015 9:24 PM
  • Michael -

Yes, this is a problem in Mac Excel 2016, related I'm sure to the premature VBA behavior in that version.

I've had problems with RefEdit controls even in Excel versions that support them, so I use a different approach.

I've written about this approach in my tutorial Alternative to Excel’s Flaky RefEdit Control. This approach works in all Windows (2000 through 2016) and Mac (2011 and 2016) Excel versions I've tried.

Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Peltier Tech Blog

Monday, September 28, 2015 9:28 PM