none
FillMissingTiles and MaxZoomLevel RRS feed

• Question

• I generated some general overlays and render them in a tile layer in a Win8 app.  I generated tiles up to Zoom Level 7, as that seems to be the point of diminishing returns as the detail goes.   I specify the quadkey URL. If I specify FillMissingTiles = true, I get the behavior as I'd expect/want.  I can zoom in to street level and still see my overlay. 

When monitoring Fiddler, I'm seeing tons of 404s as I zoom past level 7 -- of course, this is expected.  If I try to specify a MaxZoomLevel = 7, the tiles disappear if I zoom past level 7.   So, it seems that FillMissingTiles will work, but only up to the MaxZoomLevel.

What I want to do is basically tell Bing Maps to stop requesting tiles past level 7 because they don't exist, but STILL use the level 7 tiles. 

Any way to accomplish this?

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• There is no supported way to do this at this time. The fill missing tile logic is relies on 404 requests to tell the map to zoom into the previous tile.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:04 PM
  • The Bing Maps SDK does not cache 404s and will keep on requesting these tiles with the assumption that the network error might eventually go away. If you publish empty responses (content length 0) for Zoom Levels above 7, then these would be cached by the SDK and the number of tile requests that you are seeing because of missing tiles will go down.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:20 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to do this at this time. The fill missing tile logic is relies on 404 requests to tell the map to zoom into the previous tile.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:04 PM
  • The Bing Maps SDK does not cache 404s and will keep on requesting these tiles with the assumption that the network error might eventually go away. If you publish empty responses (content length 0) for Zoom Levels above 7, then these would be cached by the SDK and the number of tile requests that you are seeing because of missing tiles will go down.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:20 PM