none
Reverse DNS for Resource Manager RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Ananada Siverts,

Virtual Machines created with the new Azure Resource Manager framework fully support the specification of Reverse DNS addresses.

In the old model, Reverse DNS records were specified at the cloud service level. In the new model they are specified on a Public IP Address resource.

Details on how to use create a Public IP Address with a Reverse DNS record through PowerShell can be found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt126026.aspx

Similarly, you can create with a direct API integration as shown here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163590.aspx

The new portal does not yet support the specification of the Reverse DNS property, but you can create the objects in the portal, and then add the property to the existing object with PowerShell.

Hope that helps!

Stephen Malone.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I currently do not see an option to setup Reverse DNS with the Azure Resource Manager with Preview portal or Powershell. However, I am checking with the Operations Team for other options to accomplish this.
    I will get back to you shortly regarding this.

Thanks,
    Syed Irfan Husain

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi Ananada Siverts,

Virtual Machines created with the new Azure Resource Manager framework fully support the specification of Reverse DNS addresses.

In the old model, Reverse DNS records were specified at the cloud service level. In the new model they are specified on a Public IP Address resource.

Details on how to use create a Public IP Address with a Reverse DNS record through PowerShell can be found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt126026.aspx

Similarly, you can create with a direct API integration as shown here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163590.aspx

The new portal does not yet support the specification of the Reverse DNS property, but you can create the objects in the portal, and then add the property to the existing object with PowerShell.

Hope that helps!

Stephen Malone.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:26 AM
  • If I already have a Public IP Address, it's not clear to me how I add the reversefqdn to it; only the new-publicipaddress command seems to accept an FQDN.
    • Edited by Dr Pizza Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Is updating an existing Public IP Address possible with a ReverseFqdn possible or not? I too would like to do this.

Also - any time frame for when the portal will have this functionality?

And - is it still the case that this can only be done on a VM w/ a dynamic IP (or static IP attached to a load balancer)?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:16 PM
  • This may shed some light, while I still have the same questions.  It appears to that it is not possible to update an already created public ip address, and while the PowerShell command New-azurermpublicipaddress appears to have the switch and complete it does not work...

I am running the following command which creates the PublicIpAddress:

"New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name testing -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -ReverseFqdn xxx.clientdomain.com -AllocationMethod Dynamic"

This creates the public ip but does not assign the reversedns attribute, when running the get-azurermpublicipaddressDNS settings return null. I have also tried this with the static allocation with no success. The command also does not allow me to assign the -domainnamelable. I have not found a way to "set" this on an existing publicIP either. The static command I have run is:

"New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name testingstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -ReverseFqdn xxx.clientdomain.com -AllocationMethod Static"

Anyone able to get this to work? I have also tried the reversefqdn with a trailing .  ex= xxx.clientdomain.com. with no success. What am I doing wrong, is this not yet supported?

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem and found a solution. With an CNAME Record pointing to an PublicIpAddress DNS-Name I was abel to create the PublicIpAddress ReverseFqdn. After the Creation I have changed the CName back to an A Record Pointing to the new PublicIpAddress.

So Method 2 of the error works for me. Method 1 not.

Step by Step.

1.) New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name tempstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -AllocationMethod Static -domainnamelable tempstatic47115

2.) xxx.clientdomain.com CNAME TO tempstatic47115.westus.cloudapp.azure.com.

3.) New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name testingstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -ReverseFqdn xxx.clientdomain.com -AllocationMethod Static -domainnamelable testingstatic47115

4.) Change xxx.clientdomain.com to A Record pointing to the Ip of 3. (testingstatic)

5.) Remove-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name tempstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting 

Hint: The ReverseFqdn works only in combination with domainnamelable because the method New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress checks if the domainnamelable is not empty to create the DNS Settings.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Ia there some better, strait-forward way without CNAME "hack"?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem and found a solution. With an CNAME Record pointing to an PublicIpAddress DNS-Name I was abel to create the PublicIpAddress ReverseFqdn. After the Creation I have changed the CName back to an A Record Pointing to the new PublicIpAddress.

So Method 2 of the error works for me. Method 1 not.

Step by Step.

1.) New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name tempstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -AllocationMethod Static -domainnamelable tempstatic47115

2.) xxx.clientdomain.com CNAME TO tempstatic47115.westus.cloudapp.azure.com.

3.) New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name testingstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting -Location "west us" -ReverseFqdn xxx.clientdomain.com -AllocationMethod Static -domainnamelable testingstatic47115

4.) Change xxx.clientdomain.com to A Record pointing to the Ip of 3. (testingstatic)

5.) Remove-AzureRmPublicIpAddress -Name tempstatic -ResourceGroupName cw-extesting 

Hint: The ReverseFqdn works only in combination with domainnamelable because the method New-AzureRmPublicIpAddress checks if the domainnamelable is not empty to create the DNS Settings.

By the way, it's working, it save my week! Thanx.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:01 PM
  • I think I FINALLY figured this out!

Using Azure Powershell:

1. Login to azure subscription using:
     login-azurermaccount
    2. Select the subscription using:
     select-azurermsubscription -subscriptionname mysubscription
    3. Get the existing IP using:
     $p = get-azurermpublicipaddress -name mystaticipname -resourcegroupname myresourcegroupname
    4. Set the reversedns on it (ensuring your forward DNS is already set first) using:
     $p.dnssettings.reversefqdn = "mail.mydomain.com"
    5. Finalize/activate the setting using:
     set-azurermpublicipaddress -publicipaddress $p

• Proposed as answer by IC-CDG Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:49 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:49 AM
  • This was the needle in the haystack.  Thank you!
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:11 PM