Visual Studio 2013 error when deploying WinJS app: DEP0800

Question

• I have been working on this project for weeks without any problems, and just now started getting this error when deploying:

Error    1    Error : DEP0800 : The required framework "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.WinJS.2.0\1.0\Microsoft.WinJS.2.0.appx" failed to install.
    error 0x80070490: Cannot process the Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink_3.0.1.177_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered while retrieving the 1 property for the value 'ms-resource:AppTitleWithBranding': Element not found.
        TestApp

Tried this with a blank test app, and still getting this error.  Any ideas?

(Visual Studio 2013 final on Windows 8.1 Pro RTM installed from MSDN iso)

Edit: no problems deploying C#/XAML apps.
    • Edited by Anatoly_LP Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:41 PM

Answers

• James,

I had actually reported this issue before even posting here, since we have several direct contacts inside Microsoft, but unfortunately none were able to provide a solution.  One person had suggested uninstalling Food & Drink, but I was unable to do so, because apparently my Win 8.1 upgrade was somehow corrupted. (I couldn't even get the Store app to launch.)  So I finally had to do what I was hoping to avoid, and spent most of the weekend doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 8.1 and all apps, which finally did resolve my problem.

-Anatoly

• Marked as answer by Anatoly_LP Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:00 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Anatoly,

"Tried this with a blank test app, and still getting this error" it seems the problem locates on your Visual Studio, but not the code specific. Have you tried to fix it?

You could reset your IDE by following steps(I assume you are VS2013 non-express edition):
    • open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is <C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE>); 
    • Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

If still no help, might be re-install could be a preferred solution.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Tried both ways of running Devenv, and it didn't help.  (Devenv.exe /SafeMode wouldn't load the WinJS project at all.)  Also tried a full uninstall and reinstall of VS2013 Pro, with same result.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Hi Anatoly,

Sorry for my mistake, VS2013 should be located on <C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0(not 11.0, 11.0 represent VS 2012)\Common7\IDE>. But it seems re-install the VS2013 did no help, fix might not help neither.

Could you report this issue to Connect? There you will be able to fill in some detail information and they will give some professional suggestions for your issue. Better than ask VS question on dev forum. Hope your issue can be solved soon.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, November 1, 2013 1:37 AM
  • James,

I had actually reported this issue before even posting here, since we have several direct contacts inside Microsoft, but unfortunately none were able to provide a solution.  One person had suggested uninstalling Food & Drink, but I was unable to do so, because apparently my Win 8.1 upgrade was somehow corrupted. (I couldn't even get the Store app to launch.)  So I finally had to do what I was hoping to avoid, and spent most of the weekend doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 8.1 and all apps, which finally did resolve my problem.

-Anatoly

• Marked as answer by Anatoly_LP Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:00 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Great! Big thanks!
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:48 AM