none
developing windows mobile apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i recently upgraded to a windows 8 64 bit machine and installed visual studio 2012 premium edition.

I have a application written in c#.net to download to a device using windows mobile 6 professional. unfortunely since i upgraded my machine, i cannot open this project now in visual studio 2012. I get compatibility errors. I can open the code itself (ie the .cs files). I understand i will need to download something else to allow me open and work with this project. Could you tell me what the next steps are?

so far i have tried the following :

downloaded .net framework 4.5 sdk

downloaded windows phone templates (which i wont be able to use on my target device)

downloaded windows embedded compact 2013 update 5 - but the install did not complete due to missing cab files in the download

downloaded and installed application builder for windows embedded compact 2013. but i see no WEC templates?

all to no avail...

Liam

Liam194544

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:55 PM

Answers

• You should use the same version of VS this application was originally developed with.

In any case last VS version to support Windows Mobile development is VS 2008. You would need Pro edition or above. It would run fine on Windows 8 and can be installed side by side with other VS versions you may have.

VS 2010, 2012 and 2013 do not support WM development.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:07 PM