VS 2008 Professional edition RRS feed

• Question

•  

I installed VS 2008 Prof edition and also Team Explorer, I wanted to create a new web test.. the problem is I dont see the option of adding a new web test. When I click on Test->New Test-> All I see is ordered test,Unit test and unit test wizard.

But I dont see any creating new webtest/database test options which I used to use in VS 2005.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition provides support for Unit Testing that was not available in previous versions; see Naysawn Naderi's blog announcement for more details: http://blogs.msdn.com/nnaderi/archive/2007/03/27/unit-testing-trickling-into-pro.aspx.

Support for Web and Load Testing, however, is only available through Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition (or Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite).  In particular, these test types are not included in the Professional Edition.

Thanks for your interest in Visual Studio Team System,

Neal Fowler

Visual Studio Team Test

Thursday, January 3, 2008 12:55 AM
  • That's helpful. I think in professional terms it's called "the penguin" (that's from a much older profession)

lots of PR about testing being available on the professional version, but in truth it's only partially available.

Now that the Asp.Net AJAX library is part of the framework, I'd expect to have a way to test web apps built with it (without having to spend more money on the team suite just for another type of test)

If I have to make a purchase to solve my test requirements, it opens it up for any other testing solution and discourages us from using .Net (I'm already getting asked about Ruby, and it's not like the MS AJAX library is the best one out there)

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:22 PM