When to show inline error message

Question

• Earlier, I asked where, and now I'd like to ask when, to show inline error messages.  For example, if a field is required, should the "This field is required" message appear:

• Choice 1) as soon as the user opens the screen
    • Choice 2) only after the user attempts to leave the screen, if it's still not filled in

Choice 1 is sort of like those web forms where you see an asterisk next to the field right from the get-go.  If Choice 1 is recommended then I can disable the button that exits from the current screen until all fields contain valid input.  But the disadvantage of Choice 1 is that it may be TMI (too much information) for some people.  That is, they already know that information is required, so remind them only if they actually forget.

What's the recommendation and, so I can gauge its applicability, what's the reasoning behind that recommendation?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:11 PM

All replies

• In general, the inline error is the first choice of surface. An inline text error delivers messages in the context of the user's current actions or the current app page itself. An inline error does not require an explicit user action to dismiss the message. The message goes away automatically when it no longer applies.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465304.aspx

Windows Phone/Windows Store

Friday, March 13, 2015 9:40 AM