none
Can w:style/w:tblPr/w:tblW exist RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

According to 17.7.6.4 the tblPr in a style can have a tblW. However, I've never seen that. And a style forcing a width on a table (or row or cell) seems to go against 17.18.87 which discusses using the tblW & tcW in the table & cells, but not referring to the style settings.

Can it be used? Or is it there because that's who tblPr is specified when in a tbl/tblPr and it's kept so it's the same defined schema?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave, I believe that it would still be considered valid in that context. It's valid per the schema, but as we've seen in the past sometimes the logic can restrict what's valid based on other elements further up in the hierarchy.

ISO/IEC 29500-1 section 17.7.6 states that "table styles can specify all of the properties that can be applied to a table." I did a quick test where I created a document, applied one of the built in table styles, and then manually edited the file and moved the tblW element from the table definition into the table style in the styles.xml file and it did not appear to cause any problems. Do you have an example of this where it's not giving the expected results?

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave :

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. A support engineer will be in touch by tomorrow to assist further.

Regards

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Sunday, March 27, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Hi Dave, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Monday, March 28, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hi Dave, I believe that it would still be considered valid in that context. It's valid per the schema, but as we've seen in the past sometimes the logic can restrict what's valid based on other elements further up in the hierarchy.

ISO/IEC 29500-1 section 17.7.6 states that "table styles can specify all of the properties that can be applied to a table." I did a quick test where I created a document, applied one of the built in table styles, and then manually edited the file and moved the tblW element from the table definition into the table style in the styles.xml file and it did not appear to cause any problems. Do you have an example of this where it's not giving the expected results?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Hi Josh;

I'm going to take your reply as yes it's legal but there's no telling what would happen :)

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:02 PM