VPN client inside Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to connect to an on-premises VPN by using the default OS VPN client inside an Azure VM (without Azure VPN at all)?

Thanks.

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your clear explanation.

If you wanted to create a connection between the Azure VM and on-peremises resources, you need to create a site-to-site/point-to-site VPN between them. Since you cannot create a site-to-site VPN, you can try to create point-to-site VPN instead since it won't need any VPN device. However, you must configure the virtual network and the virtual network gateway for configuring a point-to-site VPN.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:19 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 6:14 AM

All replies

• ... by Azure VPN I actually mean Azure Virtual Network service.
    Friday, January 3, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question. However, sorry to say that I am not clear about your needs. I would appreciate it if you can explain it more detailed.

If you wanted to connect between your virtual network and your on-premises network, you can create a site-to-site VPN connection. In addition, you can also install a VPN package on your client machine to create a point-to-site VPN connection.

The links below may be helpful to you:

Virtual Network

Create a Virtual Network for Site-to-Site Cross-Premises Connectivity

Configure a Point-to-Site VPN in the Management Portal

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Monday, January 6, 2014 6:11 AM link
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

No... WITHOUT Azure Virtual Network is what I mean.

I want to connect an Azure VM with an existing on-premises network via VPN.... I just want to use the default OS VPN connection client inside my Azure VM to connect to the on-premises network.... that's it....

The on-premises network is managed by another company, and they've provided VPN connection details for us to connect. Now I just want to connect my Azure VM with them. I cannot establish a Site-to-Site connection with them by using Azure Virtual Network as I cannot run any VPN device script on their side.... that's why I'm NOT planning to use Azure Virtual Network AT ALL.

Is the scenario clear now?

Thanks.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your clear explanation.

If you wanted to create a connection between the Azure VM and on-peremises resources, you need to create a site-to-site/point-to-site VPN between them. Since you cannot create a site-to-site VPN, you can try to create point-to-site VPN instead since it won't need any VPN device. However, you must configure the virtual network and the virtual network gateway for configuring a point-to-site VPN.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:19 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 6:14 AM