none
.Net Framework Getting Corrupted causing WPF issues RRS feed

• Question

• Background: I have a .Net 3.5 WPF "Prism"-based application running on Windows XP and Windows PosReady 2009 PCs. The app runs on PCs that are shut down every night (via a C# call to "shutdown.exe") and booted fresh in the morning (via Wake-on-LAN). The application is touch-based (using ELO touch screens), there are no mice or keyboards attached and the users do not have access to Windows.

Issue: We sporadically see issues where one of two things happens; either the application doesn't seem to load correctly and we see a blank white form showing, or it stops responding to touch. From looking in our (log4net) logs we can see that we are still handling the touch events and logging them out in both cases. Often this seems to occur when switching views and we also see in the logs where the Prism RegionManager is removing and adding views appropriately.

Troubleshooting: The application is running on approx ~100 PCs using images applied with Clonezilla and this occurs only sporadically. Since it isn't happening on all PCs and there are no exceptions logged or anything indicative of an issue in the Event Viewer we've resorted to more PC and OS level fixes. Specifically, we tried restarting the application and the PCs with occasional short-term success - meaning that sometimes the application will function correctly after these restarts, but only for a matter of hours at most. We've also worked under the assumption that the application has somehow been corrupted and we've removed and reinstalled it, without success.

The only thing that seems to resolve the issue is a repair of the .Net framework using the provided .Net 3.5 SP1 Installer package.

Conclusion: Since this seems to resolve the issue when nothing else does, it appears that we are somehow corrupting a GAC'd framework dll - either through code or the boot/shutdown procedures on the PC.

Questions: This leads to a number of questions:

• Any ideas on how we can further identify the source of the issue?
    • Any ideas on what we can do to prevent this issue?
    • Any ideas on what the underlying issue might be?

Thanks for any help.

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

First, I recommend you use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks you have: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

You can post last 10~25 lines here which contain information that whether the .NET Framework is healthy or not.

If you find the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is corrupt, please try to uninstall it in Control Panel and reinstall it again. If you fail toremove .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can try to uninstall it by command lines: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

If it still fails, you can use MsiInv Tool to uninstall
    it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

After you reinstall .NET Framework, please run Verification Tool again to check if they are healthy. If all the .NET Frameworks you have are correct, I think this problem maybe is related to your application.

If you have any other problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lee roth Friday, March 9, 2012 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:40 AM
  • If you want to uninstall any app including .Net Framework, Please read on.

At this page, there is a fix tool that may be able to resolve your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Please d/l it and run it.

If your .Net Framework is not bult-in into your Windows(such as the .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0 in XP), you may hopefully be able to uninstall it with this tool.

My blog: http://soho-hsh.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:37 AM
    • Edited by horngsh Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lee roth Monday, March 12, 2012 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

I recently had a machine exhibiting this behavior - two separate .Net-based applications would fail to load and sit unresponsive at a white screen. I ran the verification tool for each version of the framework that was installed (1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 client profile) and all returned successful and without errors. I attempted to run the applications again with the same results. I then ran the 3.5 installer package repair action, which succeeded. After a reboot the applications both loaded and ran properly.

Any ideas on what that might mean?

Thanks

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:14 PM
  • If you want to uninstall any app including .Net Framework, Please read on.

I don't want to uninstall it - I want it to work without errors.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Are you able to load applications properly? If you encounter the same problem later, please send the verification log to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) for further diagnose.

I guess some services of .NET Framework do not load correctly, but I cannot sure without logs.

If you have any other problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:09 AM