Windows Store Apps and Capture Cards

Question

• Hi, 

I would like to know if there is way to develop a Windows Store App that will capture video and audio from a capture card.

I tried the "MediaCapture" sample from the Media Foundation API, but the capture card is not enumerated as a "DeviceClass.VideoCapture". If I enumerate all devices I can see the card, but it results in Acess Denied when starting the device.

I don´t know if there is a limitation in the Media Foundation to work only with Webcams, or if the card driver doesn´t supply all the requirements to work with Store Apps.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the capture card presents itself as a camera then it will work. If not, then no.

See USB Video Class Driver Overview .

--Rob

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob!

Thanks for help. If I understood, this UVC is a device comunications protocol, like WDM, right? If so, as the name says, is it only for USB devices? I ask that because the capture graphic cards used to be PCI, and that´s my case.

In other words, Media Foundation works only with USB devices which implement the UVC protocol. Is that right? Does that go for Desktop and Store Apps?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:31 PM
  • A PCI card can present itself as USB, but I suspect that your capture card will not work with Windows Store apps.

Desktop apps will be different, but for details you'll need to check the desktop app development documentation and forums.

--Rob

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:11 PM
    Owner